Blackberries?

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wellp, ok it's gone now. but to me it looked like a Boysenberry.

On the other hand, with some of them it is real hard to get rid of them because it seems like if you leave one single root cell it could come back.

One thing about the bramble berries is that the site to plant them in really should be chosen carefully. They should be planted where they could be allowed to take over the world. Some of the varieties especially. Other varieties are more tame and don't try to take over the world.

=====

About "SPECIES" of Rubus;

Botanists allow in the Genus Rubus the INCORRECT common definition of species. That is, JUST BECAUSE THEY HAVE WILD ANCESTORS FROM DIFFERENT PARTS OF THE WORLD THEY CALL THEM DIFFERENT SPECIES. (They do that with Roses too.). It is most certainly NOT the right nor is it the true definition of species.

But it is understandable, and keeps things simplified. See, the Genus Rubus, (the Brambleberries), is actually MOSTLY one single species. MOST BRAMBLEBERRIES CAN CROSS POLLINATE AND MAKE HYBRIDS WHICH CAN GROW, FLOWER, MAKE BERRIES, AND THEN MAKE SEEDS WHICH CAN ALSO GROW, FLOWER, MAKE BERRIES, AND THEN MAKE GOOD GROWABLE SEEDS.

For instance, lots of different Raspberries can cross with lots of different Blackberries.

But that gets complicated because most of our best Raspberry varieties are ALREADY hybrids made from 150 years of crossing European wild raspberries with eastern north American wild raspberries. Back and forth, plus sometimes crossing in some Asian raspberries or blackberries, and then crossing back with a raspberry. Fall Gold Raspberry has wild Korean Raspberry in its ancestry, and has very different ancestry than other golden raspberries.

Other crosses in the Rubus Genus have done that POLYPLOID thing with the Chromosomes. (Sounds fancy, but it has nothing to do with GMO. Far as I know, there are NO GMO brambleberries).

Polyploid Chromosomes is a naturally happening thing that happens with natural or human helped cross pollination. Some of the wild brambleberries have a normally different number of sometimes compatible chromosomes. When it happens they produce seeds that have double the number of chromosomes, and then those plants they grow into might cross only with others that have that same number of doubled chromosomes. I can't remember the complicated stuff about it, but LOGANBERRY is an example of that happening.

=====

Way I see it is Rubus is the Genus name. "rubus" should also be the species name. The kinds of wild brambleberries with normally different numbers of chromosomes may or may not be different species, and should be checked to see if they readily cross and commit to gene flow, to see if they are or not. The kinds which are polyploid in one way or another should be given the species name "x-rubus", or however they are spelling that officially these days.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
does it have 5 leaves or 3 at each node? it's hard for me to tell with those 2 pics and i just want to be sure it isn't poison ivy. i saw the shinny red on the leaves and that was something that made me first think poison ivy and not raspberry/blackberry.
Most definitely NOT poison ivy! (I am highly allergic and always on he look out.)

Latest posts