Blue sweet potatoes (pic)

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Greenthumb18 said:
Interesting color for sweet potatoes, never even seen purple sweet potatoes before, but i have seen blue potatoes. Can't wait to harvest my sweet potatoes this will be my first year growing them, the leaves are still green i guess your suppose to wait until the foliage dies back like the regular potatoes.
This info was taken from the following link
http://www.canadiangardening.com/ga...rdening/learn-to-grow-a-sweet-potato/a/1264/2
Harvest and storage
Sweet potato growth slows when soil temperature falls below 18C . When the vines turn black after the first frost, harvest your potatoes immediately. Dig them out carefully because the skins are susceptible to bruises and cuts. Leave them outside on the ground to dry for several hours, then brush off the dirt and gently transfer to a box lined with newspaper. Leave them in a warm (27C), humid place for two weeks. Proper curing is essential to create a layer of suberin (a waxy substance that keeps moisture in and helps to heal any nicks or cracks in the skin). Then store at room temperature for up to a year. [The flavour of] a well-grown sweet potato actually improves in storage, says Wingate. The starches gradually convert to sugar.

Some sources say to dig them up before frost because it may harm the potatoes.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've never grown sweet potatoes. Gonna have to try it someday. Those are gorgeous, what a color!

Kim_NC

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Oh, a report....OK.....

We really liked them. I cut up white irish potatoes to the same size, coated all with olive oil, salt, pepper and rosemary. Then oven roasted them until browned.

The blue sweet ptoatoes were slightly coarser textured than a typical red sweet potato. They might be a little sweeter. DH & I thought we'd bake one each blue and red next time and share them so we can taste the two colors side-by-side.

The gal who grew them seemed disappointed in them. She thought they were dry compared to red. We didn't think so.

hoodat

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's all a matter of taste. I prefer my sweet potatos on the dry side. That's why I usually grow the Japanese sweet potatos that taste sort of like roasted chestnuts. I only grow them every few years. They take up a lot of space. Don't forget that the growing tips and young leaves make great greens.

jojo54

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
hoodat said:
It's all a matter of taste. I prefer my sweet potatos on the dry side. That's why I usually grow the Japanese sweet potatos that taste sort of like roasted chestnuts. I only grow them every few years. They take up a lot of space. Don't forget that the growing tips and young leaves make great greens.
I'd never heard about eating the leaves as greens. How do you eat them? In salads, or steamed, or ? :idunno Please tell.

GPN

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Kim_NC said:
Oh, a report....OK.....

The gal who grew them seemed disappointed in them. She thought they were dry compared to red. We didn't think so.
might been the cook not the tater ;)

Kim_NC

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
GPN said:
Kim_NC said:
Oh, a report....OK.....

might been the cook not the tater ;)
LOL....I admit I thought that too. :D

Last night, we cooked one of each, the same size. The blue one was just a bit drier. But if they had not been side by side on the plate, I would not have noticed.

Dickiebird, sweet potato slips are started from the actual potatoes. This 'tutorial' has good, clear directions and pics:

http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/how-to-plant-and-grow-sweet-potatoes/index.html

Latest posts