Bokashi and weeds

jbosmith

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's another synonym for it, there's a bunch, earth almonds, yellow nutsedge, atadwe. They are YUMMY! Especially soaked overnight, so chewy and sweet...
:drool
Hmm well I want you to grow it and tell us for sure whether it takes over or not :-D

Same thing is true for certain pests. For some people certain pests are present but not really a problem. For others they are a disaster. There is a phrase for that, "All gardening is local"
Yeah .. I have 4 gardens and there's big differences between them. Two of them are only a few hundred yards apart and can have seemingly completely different years pest-wise. I like that phrase!

oh it can take over up here too. i have to keep a watch out for that and other species which like to colonize the gardens. once they get established it's a lot of work to get rid of them again. horsetail is constantly trying to invade, other weeds too. the best defense is well covered ground.
We get two or three horsetail plants each spring in a narrow strip of soil between our house and driveway. We yank it out and don't see it again .. til the next spring.

My brother used to live in southern Alabama and had a hay field near him. I was there in August and they were stacking round bales on the edge of the field. When I went back in November they were completely overtaken by bindweed. I have some weeds that drive me a little crazy but nothing like that. So crazy.

My personal nemesis is quack grass. It's not all that hard to pull or anything, but I have gardens that will look great from when I mulch them in May until we get juust the right rainy spell in July/August, and then it looks like a hayfield in what feels like mere moments. It's like it spends the whole first half of summer staging its assault...

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
i had it spread over much of the North garden and was able to beat it back with hand digging the entire area but also going along the edge and taking up all the edging and chasing all of those roots around. there may even still be spots of it in there here or there now, but when i see them i now know to get right in there and go for all of the roots i can possibly find. wow, hard to believe that was over 10 years ago... time is a marching on... :)

pictures of that eradication effort are in the following project page:

That sweeping swathe of thyme against the allium blooms on the long stately stems, very visually striking. A beautiful combination.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My personal nemesis is quack grass. It's not all that hard to pull or anything, but I have gardens that will look great from when I mulch them in May until we get juust the right rainy spell in July/August, and then it looks like a hayfield in what feels like mere moments. It's like it spends the whole first half of summer staging its assault...
Yes, that stuff is a pain too. I don't seem to have a problem with it in the vegetable garden, but the perennial flowers, ugh. I can't make it go away! I bought a rhubarb plant, that had a hidden friend in there too, from a nursery years ago in a town about 15 minutes away, and inadvertently transported something truly terrible into the garden bed I planted it in. When I moved that rhubarb plant last summer, which seemed to be strangely controlling it somewhat, this stuff became a nightmare. Jumping strangler weed.

jbosmith

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yes, that stuff is a pain too. I don't seem to have a problem with it in the vegetable garden, but the perennial flowers, ugh. I can't make it go away! I bought a rhubarb plant, that had a hidden friend in there too, from a nursery years ago in a town about 15 minutes away, and inadvertently transported something truly terrible into the garden bed I planted it in. When I moved that rhubarb plant last summer, which seemed to be strangely controlling it somewhat, this stuff became a nightmare. Jumping strangler weed.
Other parts of the community garden where I spend my summer evenings have that. The seed explosions are craaaazy! There's a grassy strip where people can drive between that area and mine and I hope it continues to serve as a barrier!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

i'm not familiar with that one (or don't know that name for it). what is it like?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
That sweeping swathe of thyme against the allium blooms on the long stately stems, very visually striking. A beautiful combination.

i'm enjoying experimenting with that garden. this year i'm going to plant various onions to flower there instead. and closer to the thyme so it will be easier to keep weeded. i think i may be able to do that anytime in the next few weeks if we get a dry enough spell in the weather.

Latest posts