Boots for the Garden

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
No one ever accused my of looking cute, when I am gardening... but, I do love my gardening crocs. Mine happen to be black- but they do come in adorable prints. They are quite sturdy on the bottom- no need to fear the shovel... let us know what you choose!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lesa, I've thought of crocs but I really get my feet wet when I'm hosing things down and I need a waterproof boot to keep my socks and feet dry. Have to wear socks cause it's cold out here.

Carol, sorry I'm a size 6 not a 10. At 5' tall, I think I would look funny with size 10 feet/shoes!

Mary

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
When the weather is icky, or I'm cleaning out the hen house, I wear a pair of muck boots. I find them very comfy.
...but I'm not sure they'd be what you're looking for shoveling. I find them sufficient for that, but I also wear chaco sandals in the summer and find those fine for shovel work, too. ;)

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Also, i also most frequently wear a fleece lined croc shoe around the farm. Before I got the fleece lined crocs, I wore rubber clogs. I like the crocs better, since they have more of a heal, and have the fleece lining. I wear flip-flops in the house (all outdoor shoes stay out on the porch) and it's easy to slip out of my house flip-flops into the fleece lined crocs when I need to be outside when it's still a bit too chilly for chaco sandals w/out socks. My primary shoe of choice for when I'm out and about around town is a birk or dansko, so I rarely wear "real" shoes... and hardly ever wear socks in the house. :)

I don't know if this is at all helpful. Haa! :)

NwMtGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Daisy, I agree, chaco's are great for pushing DOWN on the shovel, I've definitely done a fair amount of shovelin' in chacos! But the danger to the toes is still present!! And...as far as not even wearing socks in the house, I wouldn't even HAVE toes, I'd have lost them all to frostbite around here!!! :p (...of course, then I wouldn't have to worry about chopping them off with the shovel in my sandals...hmm...) :ep

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Alright ... so maybe this will actually be more helpful to the OP...
I flipped through the winter Plow and Hearth catalog earlier tonight after dinner and saw a boot they carry called BOGS.

http://www.plowhearth.com/BOGS®-Shoes/Category_S2006_D3074_C1172.html

Women styles are "cute", I think.
I would opt for the mid-calf length. That's the length of my muck boots, and I love the muck boots! Easy to wear with socks, but I also slip into them w/out socks, if it's not too chilly outside.

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
NwMt, you're probably right about your toes being froze off up north ... I grew up north of Spokane, and am quite familiar w/ winter temps there. Haa!
But for the time being, I'm stuck in central Texas. :) And I'm currently sockless. (... Now, doesn't that sound scandalous? Haaa!) :)

HunkieDorie23

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I have a pair of boots that do OK for that. I got them at Tractor Supply Co in Dec, they are burgandy w/rooster weather vanes on them. I think they are cute the heals aren't too bad and I got them for the chicken yard which has been a mess forever with our record setting rainfall here in Ohio. They were like $25.00 not too pricey and I am planning on using them in the garden.

Latest posts