Boots for the Garden

Chickie'sMomaInNH

Garden Master
Reaction score
i have a pair of the Muck Boots that i got a few months ago and i've been loving them. they are the 'Camp' style i think. more like a shoe than a boot but i like how warm and cozy they feel with or without socks even with the weather being this cold this time of year! i was mainly concerned with something safer than the croc style shoes i had since they had no tread left and were the 'not so safe' on concrete areas. (nearly took a few headers on my deck and in the garage when it was wet out) they're easy to slip in and out of and seem sturdy but i haven't used them in the garden to dig using a shovel yet so i couldn't tell you about that.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Here's another thought for you Mary, I recently "upgraded" my shovel to a heavier duty one that also has a wider step plate. It's much more comfortable on my feet. I've been dealing with a lot of foot pain from last seasons heavy schedule and was really pleased with how much more comfortable the wider plate made shoveling. I've seen several types of shovels made like this at different hardware stores so it would be easy to find.

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
Here's another thought for you Mary, I recently "upgraded" my shovel to a heavier duty one that also has a wider step plate. It's much more comfortable on my feet. I've been dealing with a lot of foot pain from last seasons heavy schedule and was really pleased with how much more comfortable the wider plate made shoveling. I've seen several types of shovels made like this at different hardware stores so it would be easy to find.
Fantastic suggestion!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, I'm really in a dilema. There is a red boot that I like at Plow and Hearth but it's $115, more than what I'd like to spend plus then shipping. Gardener's supply has cute ones for $59.95 but I think they are more cute than sturdy. I'm leaning towards just keeping my old tennis shoes for shoveling and then getting some nice boots and taking very good care of them. Don't know which ones yet. One of my parents suggested boat boots and said they come in many colors.

I wish there was a store near me that had them. I hate to pay for shipping and then finding that I have to return them. It seems you always have to pay for shipping to receive them and then return them! It's also a pain to have to go to the post office to do the return! :barnie

Mary

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I got my plastic mud boots, rain boots, whatever you want to call them. Hubby gave them to me. They go almost to my knee, and they go over my shoes. I need them when I trudge around the pond and it gets pretty deep. Sometimes I'm just fishing, but once I used to put lotus out there... ducks ate all those, so pointless! LOL

My mom says those ugly 'crocs' now make a whole line of shoes and boots if you look into it?!
(ugly=personal opinion)

SweetMissDaisy

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Crocs, i agree, are unsightly shoes... but really are quite comfortable! :)
There are a bunch of new styles available now -- not just the eye-sore 'holey' ones. HA!

http://www.zappos.com/crocs-womens~3
http://www.zappos.com/crocs-mens~3

Most of the time around the farm (when it's not 100*) I wear the Blitzen Polar version, that is fleece lined. I can slip my bare feet in them on the coldest of days here, and my feet stay toasty warm. They're FANTASTIC for the chicken house and garden, unless it is crazy muddy, and then they're just too short for our deep, sticky gumbo. That's when I wear the muck boots.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
oooogh, those red bogs and crocs boots look cute. Their pricing doesn't seem bad considering the free shipping. I just hope they are durable enough for gardening. I probably wouldn't shovel with them just in case.

Mary

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
ooooh, I love those short Bogs! I wear flip flops in the summer and tall rubber boots in the winter. The boots don't slip on and off easily when I need to run inside, but the Bogs look like they would.

Latest posts