SprigOfTheLivingDead

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So I want to try a couple of pickling specific cucumbers this year. I've decided on trying the National strain, but am not sure which other one to try. I've whittled it down to the Boston Pickling Cuke or the Chicago Pickling Cuke. Does anyone here have experience with either of these that wants to chime in?

Bonus points if you've done both and have a clear favorite

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've grown Boston Pickling.

Why would a guy who doesn't can or make pickles grow pickling cucumbers? Well, people ask for them at the farmers' market. What I have learned is that there aren't very many customers looking for pickling cucumbers but those what are, are persistent.

The Bostons are just as some say in the catalog comments, very productive. I don't remember having any problems with them. The drawback for me was that there really weren't enuf customers. The cukes also have to be picked just about every other day. ... too often for our marketing.

FM customers are a little spoiled. That's okay.

Steve

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've grown Boston in the past. They were VERY productive. It was what I found in started plants at the nursery so I went with it. I can a lot of quarts of pickles when I put them in.

They were good thick cukes and like Ridge they are what I grow now for pickling cukes.

Latest posts