Bradly tomatoes

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I joined a seed of the month club, and have started Bradley Tomatoes from it. I had never heard of them, they are determinate, has anyone tried them, how do you like them?

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We tried the Bradley variety in the test garden in 2003 and 2005. Overall it's a great tomato. It's not very popular though in terms of gardeners. The seeds we got were from Seed Savers Exchange. I would say at best, they are semi-determinate, with some of our plants growing well over 6 feet but some staying under 4 feet. Prolific plants all around, ripening about the same time which makes for decent canning/harvest. They hold up well too.3-4inch fruits. Great slicer and "true" tomato flavor. I tend to like tomatoes on the smoky/saltier side.

Decent resistance to fusarium wilt (F1).

Would love to hear your experience!

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't think I have ever grown them, but they are a pretty well known older variety. Maybe 50 or 60 years old. I have found conflicting info on them: Semi-determinate, Indeterminate, Hybrid, OP. I guess they were a hybrid that was resown and folks were happy with the results. Most info does say they are "pink" but they look pretty red to me.

OaklandCityFarmer

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yeah, in my experience they are definitely red. I think the semi-determinate, indeterminate, determinate thing comes from different regional strains. They were originally developed in Arkansas in 1961. They are open-pollinated which probably explains the genetic "drift" that has happened over the years.

I mean, as long as you're not going to start a market stand with them, they will be lovely! ;)

Latest posts