Branching Out's Seeds and Sprouts

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I noticed some eggs on a crocosmia leaf today, and am wondering if anyone knows what they are. If it is a pest I would like to remove them.

Attachments

• IMG_20230802_072110818.jpg
    IMG_20230802_072110818.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 57

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I was not feeling optimistic about sowing carrots in the summer heat, but in spite of the hot, dry weather there seems to be good germination. I read an entry in one of Carol Deppe's books that mentioned the importance of capillary action for seed sowing in summer, so I walked on the planting site to made sure I had a very firm seed bed to start with. Then I watered it deeply before firming in the carrot seeds. I also made the seed bed with edges to keep the water from running off when I irrigate; last year I didn't have edges, and it was really difficult to water. In between waterings I keep the area covered with row cover to retain moisture, and I also have a lace curtain over the row for a bit of micro shade. Kind of a funny look-- but its working and that's all I am concerned with.

Attachments

• IMG_20230801_113529540.jpg
    IMG_20230801_113529540.jpg
    382.8 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Last year I grew Cosmos 'Daydream', and had only a few plants survive. The location I had them in was likely the most parched, dry spot in our garden so they had to really struggle. Thankfully conditions stayed warm and dry until mid-October, so I was able to save a few seeds. This year they are in a much better location, and have just started blooming. I planted two small successions (not because of good planning on my part, but due to poor germination the first time around). I hope to be able to trim the back row, and have the front row come in to flower at about the same time. This particular variety is a personal favourite; it's very pretty, and rather short at 3-4'. Some cosmos are 5' tall-- which can be too much of a good thing.

Attachments

• IMG_20230802_165220993.jpg
    IMG_20230802_165220993.jpg
    321.3 KB · Views: 48

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Last year I grew Cosmos 'Daydream', and had only a few plants survive. The location I had them in was likely the most parched, dry spot in our garden so they had to really struggle. Thankfully conditions stayed warm and dry until mid-October, so I was able to save a few seeds. This year they are in a much better location, and have just started blooming. I planted two small successions (not because of good planning on my part, but due to poor germination the first time around). I hope to be able to trim the back row, and have the front row come in to flower at about the same time. This particular variety is a personal favourite; it's very pretty, and rather short at 3-4'. Some cosmos are 5' tall-- which can be too much of a good thing.
Very pretty cosmos @Branching Out. I really like those pastel pink dahlias (?) in behind too. I have a pink theme this year with most of my annuals, so I'm all about the pinks.

I grew some Black Boy bachelor's buttons on a whim this spring, and forgot that I even planted them by end of June. I had this little patch of weedy looking plants, with silvery stems. I nearly pulled them all out a bunch of times, but they flowered this week and it was the buttons. The color really is superb. A deep, dark burgundy. So glad I didn't weed them. The clarkia I planted are a wonderful surprise too. So many pretty annuals to try.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grew some Black Boy bachelor's buttons on a whim this spring, and forgot that I even planted them by end of June. I had this little patch of weedy looking plants, with silvery stems. I nearly pulled them all out a bunch of times, but they flowered this week and it was the buttons. The color really is superb. A deep, dark burgundy. So glad I didn't weed them. The clarkia I planted are a wonderful surprise too. So many pretty annuals to try.

Mom pulls my bachelor buttons out all the time. now i don't have any left. :( lovely color! :)

the ones i liked were the blue ones and those i would like to get back some day but not any time soon. also since they were outside the fenced areas they'd get nibbled on by the critters.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
interesting, never seen those before. can you isolate them or the plant to see what hatches?
Hmmm..... it would be fun to isolate them, but I don't think I am up to that at the moment. And on closer inspection of the photo of the egg cluster it almost looks like there is an open 'hatch' on many of the egg chambers-- so maybe a bunch of the bugs have already left to make their way out in the world.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hmmm..... it would be fun to isolate them, but I don't think I am up to that at the moment. And on closer inspection of the photo of the egg cluster it almost looks like there is an open 'hatch' on many of the egg chambers-- so maybe a bunch of the bugs have already left to make their way out in the world.

i was actually wondering that myself from the picture. perhaps they're some kind of frogs, toads, snail or slug egg cluster? i could not find much of anything from the insects that looked like that.

Latest posts