Broccoli Planted

Cats Critters and Garden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The Pellets before water:
Planting+002.jpg

Pellets after water:
Planting+003.jpg

Planted with Burpee's George's favorite Blend (most of it) and 6 of them with Ferry-Morse's De Cicco, but those seeds are a few years old and here it all is setting in the window:
Broccoli+001.jpg

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looking good! I really enjoy the broccoli in the garden! It tastes so much better than the grocery store. I always let some of it go to flower- the bees work it, until the first snow! Happy Gardening!

Cats Critters and Garden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
thistlebloom said:
Cat, those are interesting trays, are they specifically for peat pellets?
I think peat pellets is what came with it last year, but you could also use small pots. The main "special" thing about it is that the spots for the pellets/pots are interconnected so you can (an it works for the most part) just water in one spot and all of the spots get water.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
:thumbsup Looking forward to that freshly grown broccoli this year too. That looks like a good set-up you have there.

Mine are about 2-3" tall right now and under lights. I went ahead and invested in a roll of Agri-bon. Those stinkin' worms aren't gonna get my broccoli this year!! Even washing and soaking them in salt water, I still end up finding a couple in the pot. Sometimes they get tied to the florets with their cocoon. They are the same color as the plant and I'm sure I've eaten many without knowing it. :sick

i_am2bz

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
journey11 said:
Those stinkin' worms aren't gonna get my broccoli this year!! Even washing and soaking them in salt water, I still end up finding a couple in the pot. Sometimes they get tied to the florets with their cocoon. They are the same color as the plant and I'm sure I've eaten many without knowing it. :sick
Heeheehee...I used to blanch mine before freezing, & was always amazed at all the worms that floated to the top (another :sick). To this day I don't like eating the florets, just the stems (I know, weird). If I get any broccoli this year (not a single head last year :(), they're going to the chickens! ;)

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am sure that there are lots of people who grow broccoli once and then . . . . never again!

Agri-bon: My problem with row-cover protection is that it blows away, Journey :rolleyes:. Especially vulnerable are large plants like broccoli.

Cabbage moths can really mess up broccoli and completely destroy cabbage. A good yellow jacket year all but eliminates the caterpillars but we can't always count on swarms of carnivorous wasps ;)!!

Bt for caterpillars is an effective alternative.

Steve

mamato3

Sprout
Reaction score
Know you guys have me worried. Were growing broccoli for the first time this yr we all love broccoli. But if i see worms i will be sick :sick. Not sure i will be able to eat it.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know, it is a bummer. I can always get the broccoli to grow really well for me and it seems to have no problems otherwise, just those stupid worms! You have to take some measure to keep off...they can really do a lot of damage, aside from the yuck factor.

Thistlebloom, my stomach feels a little queasy just thinking about it! :sick

Latest posts