Brussel sprouts

Arklady

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I know most of my family don't like them but I happen to like them so what is the best way to deal with these strange veggies.

Arklady

Arklady

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Pretty much. I have heard very little about them as a lot of people don't like them.

Arklady

me&thegals

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I don't know what zone you are in. Here in WI, zone 4, I start them inside from seed in about Feb/March. I get them outside as soon as the ground is thawed. They take a long time to mature, about 4 months, so I try to get them outside ASAP. I plant mine in 5'-wide beds, about 18" on the square. They sometimes need staking to support them, sometimes not. They mature from the bottom up. So, you could be popping some sprouts off in Aug/Sept while those at the top continue to grow and mature :)

Brussels sprouts are ruined by too much cooking. I personally only stir-fry or oven roast them until crisp-tender. I think they are wonderful stir-fried with olive oil, garlic, onions and carrots. The sweetness of the carrots offsets the Brussels sprouts nicely.

They may be susceptible to cabbage moths. I try to keep my stuff covered by floating row covers as long as possible. Otherwise, I mulch between them with newspaper and lawn clippings and just let them grow. Good luck!

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think Beavis and his daughter just planted these... maybe he has some advice!

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Brussels sprouts take some time to develop. So depending on your zone they may be more of a fall crop.

Arklady

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I will be moving into Southeast Kansas and I would be unable to have my gardening area set up for anything except possibly fall. I am allowing myself some real time to organize my yard for maximum utility for not only my chickens but my dogs, cats and garden space. So I have to be sure there is enough room. I am also going to check into seeing if the neighboring lot is available, which if it is I was hoping to purchase it as well... My budget is minimal but I am really trying to get the best for my dollar.

Thanks for all the help.

Arklady

smom1976

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I love these.. I am going to try planting these today.. March 12.. I am hoping to get two seasons out of these.. lets all hope

Arklady

Leafing Out
Reaction score
I will most likely have to wait until late summer or fall. But I do enjoy the frozen ones at the store.

Don't foget to post pics.

:)

Arklady

herbsherbsflowers

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
smom,
It is going to get to hot for them to make it through the summer. You will have to plant again in the fall but those should make it through the winter into spring.

Latest posts