Bug Predators Access to Raised Beds

margali

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
So my entire garden consists of raised beds. A mix of 24" plastic barrels and 18" tall wood bed. The barrels are super smooth so don't seem

How do I get the bug predators like toads and skinks to climb in and eat to their hearts content? I have plenty of tiny frogs, skinks, etc in the cardboard mulch around my containers. But my garden was decimated last year. Any ideas?

flowerbug

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
flat boards like ramps, but i think that also invites other creatures to climb too (chipmunks, squirrels, etc.)

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pick them up and put them in the beds. Add a shallow pan of water for the toads.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Skinks and other lizards should have no problems climbing into an 18" tall wooden bed. I see them up on high wooden fences and the sides of buildings. I don't know how well your toads can climb. I'd also be reluctant to keep an open water dish in there, thinking about breeding mosquitoes, unless you dump it every few days to get rid of the wigglers.

I think your issue is more environment than accessibility. Your cardboard gives them good hiding places and probably keeps things moist.

YourRabbitGirl

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
So my entire garden consists of raised beds. A mix of 24" plastic barrels and 18" tall wood bed. The barrels are super smooth so don't seem

How do I get the bug predators like toads and skinks to climb in and eat to their hearts content? I have plenty of tiny frogs, skinks, etc in the cardboard mulch around my containers. But my garden was decimated last year. Any ideas?
I have like 3 frogs just released in my garden. they take care of insects and small predators... very convenient indeed..