Bug Predators Access to Raised Beds

margali

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So my entire garden consists of raised beds. A mix of 24" plastic barrels and 18" tall wood bed. The barrels are super smooth so don't seem

How do I get the bug predators like toads and skinks to climb in and eat to their hearts content? I have plenty of tiny frogs, skinks, etc in the cardboard mulch around my containers. But my garden was decimated last year. Any ideas?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
flat boards like ramps, but i think that also invites other creatures to climb too (chipmunks, squirrels, etc.)

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Skinks and other lizards should have no problems climbing into an 18" tall wooden bed. I see them up on high wooden fences and the sides of buildings. I don't know how well your toads can climb. I'd also be reluctant to keep an open water dish in there, thinking about breeding mosquitoes, unless you dump it every few days to get rid of the wigglers.

I think your issue is more environment than accessibility. Your cardboard gives them good hiding places and probably keeps things moist.

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
So my entire garden consists of raised beds. A mix of 24" plastic barrels and 18" tall wood bed. The barrels are super smooth so don't seem

How do I get the bug predators like toads and skinks to climb in and eat to their hearts content? I have plenty of tiny frogs, skinks, etc in the cardboard mulch around my containers. But my garden was decimated last year. Any ideas?
I have like 3 frogs just released in my garden. they take care of insects and small predators... very convenient indeed..

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score

Because of less bending and stooping this can be easier on the back and knees. Facilitates holding weeds down. In a raised bed the soil warms up faster, we plant early and prolong the growing season. And it keeps out rodents that live in the forest. Which is a personal matter.

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score

This seems to be high enough. I'm really surprised that they can still reach it. I wonder how large are these predators.

margali

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Most of the predators were flying bugs. I was worried about the good guys getting into the raised beds to do battle.

So far I've found several of the lizards in the raised beds including the plastic ones. No toads or skinks though. I may end up putting a toad house in each bed and catching a baby one to add.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Pick them up and put them in the beds. Add a shallow pan of water for the toads.
ExACTLY!!! Give them a ride to the theme park eatfest!
Here's something for you. We have a small shock of woods with a spring that sometimes is dry. Right now, it is full up and full of the frogs that are singing. A few years ago we had a bad drought. I had a "grease trap" that was a drain for my washer and kitchen sink, so it was always full. I fought a couple of frogs living there. They had hopped about 1/4 mile from their pond to my hole in the ground. I enjoyed them for a couple of days, then my cat enjoyed them.

Latest posts