Building a chicken coup ...HELP?

StupidBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
If there is a way for a hen to get stuck, get cut, or otherwise hurt, I have found it WILL. I had a nail that a thermometer hangs from in what I thought was an inaccessible corner, until a hen managed to gash herself on it. Even a two inch gap is enough for these "Stupid Birds" to get stuck, get into trouble.

There's a great section on coop building over on BYC sister site.

April Manier

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Thank you SOOO much everyone for taking the time to give me such great advice and thing to think of!

I am planning on keeping 6 -10 chickens. I say this because I will keep 6 layers and probably do Cornish cross hens occasionally for meat.

I am building a tractor to take them into the fields for weed control and a diverse diet. My husband and I have both free ranged and hated it. Also, we are a seed farm! Free roaming birds are no good!

My next question is, "Does anyone mind if I use their thoughts in an article that I will undoubtedly write about my process? Happy to give your name (or not) and a link back here of course.

Question: What is BYC?

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tractors are great, especially for meat birds. BYC is the sister site, Backyard Chicken. Take a peek over there when you have some spare time- tons of great info. Keep us posted!

Kassaundra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
April Manier said:
Thank you SOOO much everyone for taking the time to give me such great advice and thing to think of!

I am planning on keeping 6 -10 chickens. I say this because I will keep 6 layers and probably do Cornish cross hens occasionally for meat.

I am building a tractor to take them into the fields for weed control and a diverse diet. My husband and I have both free ranged and hated it. Also, we are a seed farm! Free roaming birds are no good!

My next question is, "Does anyone mind if I use their thoughts in an article that I will undoubtedly write about my process? Happy to give your name (or not) and a link back here of course.

Question: What is BYC?
Look at the bottom of the page, along the bottom are links to all the sister sites, BYC, TEG, SS (self sufficient), and BYH (back yard herds)

StupidBird

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Good luck. How's it going?

If you can, invest in a bucket of the high-end outdoor construction screws. They make all the projects so much easier - go in like butter and the heads don't chew up, and can be taken right back out several times while figuring out how something should go together.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
That's good advice, 'Bird!

The old idea of using a screw where you can, rather than a nail.

Pulling it apart? I always figure I've done it "right" if I've had to completely dismantle it only once!

Steve

Had to take it to pieces only once completely, have you? Hmmmmmm. ~ Yoda

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My main coop is 36'X16' and has two floors.... Upstairs has a 16'X6' entry area...kind of a "foyer' where I keep a desk in one side and a cupboard for meds. and on the other side of the door I have 6 stacked totes with grits, oyster shells, diatamecious earth, vitamins etc...and below them I have bins with my different feeds. Along the South side is a 6'X 30' aisle....used to rear chicks sometimes or keep broodies with their clutches. I have six 4'X10' pens and one 6'X10' pen.....I keep 3-6 Pyncheon Bantam breeders in each.....I have two wooden nest boxes in each and dowel perch with a screened drop pan underneath so droppings won't hit the floor and I can easily clean from under them....the pan has 1"x1" wire over a drop pan from a rabbit hutch....each pan is located just inches below the perches on like a slide shelf...I just pull each one out and dump the contents add a few shavings and slip back in it's place. I have a loft area above the pens where I keep extra bales of shavings, carrying boxes for shows, and my wheeled dolly cart for transporting my show boxes from the car to the show hall. Downstairs I have three growing pens....one for young Pyncheon cockerels, one for Pyncheon pullets, and one for my Silkies. The birds upstairs have outdoor runs for each pen that are 4'x8'. This has worked for me for over 45 years....... I like this thread....lots of great ideas and nice coops. I don't have coop photos yet... Rusty

chris09

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
April,

If I could suggest somethings,
Have a steep pitch on a south facing roof and as meany windows as possible south facing.
The roof I would cover in corrugated pvc the type that will let as much sun as possible in.

Chris

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
RustyDHart said:
...kind of a "foyer' where I keep a desk in one side and a cupboard for meds. . .This has worked for me for over 45 years....Rusty
Wow, Rusty!

When I started reading I was reminded of having a desk and a cabinet in the chicken house back in the early '60's!

The highway district extended the road right thru where that chicken house was. I've downsized considerable since ;).

Steve

RustyDHart

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Steve.....It's kind of like my office.....I can write letters here....examine a bird close up.....give a chicken meds...plus I can store all kinds of thing I need in the drawers....I have my chair and one extra chair so when friends come over we can sit and look at the birds all thru the year....usually with a cup of coffee or a cold beer....:D. I have some of my poultry artwork on the walls.... It's comfortable.... I have a small heater...(if needed) and I'm thinking of putting in a small frig. (for the beer and some meds.) Nothing fancy...but everything I need is within reach....except the bathroom....and I have no extra space for that. When friends come over I want them to be comfortable....the chickens seem happy and so do the visitors.... I'll keep a light on for ya...:lol:... Rusty

Latest posts