building a greenhouse--need advice!!

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Patchofheaven how has your Greenhouse plans come along?
This is my first post since Sept. Been kind of MIA for a while I do post on BYC quite alot. But will try to get back on here everyday. :caf

Pat did give you some Great advise.:clap :thumbsup

We used gravel for the inside flooring of our greenhouse after we placed weed blocking cloth down. This allows for good drainage. Much easier to walk on for your knees and feet too :th
5713_p1010716b.jpg

DH & I have a Hoop type greenhouse he bent the hoops himself. I had purchased greenhouse grade plastic to cover the structure. It came on a very large roll and we have enough to cover it again.
5713_p1030281.jpg

Dh searched for something to cover the front where the door is, he wanted some more translesent than the plastic we covered with. We thought about used windows for about 3 seconds and decieded NO as our Mow happy neighbor may hit it with flying rocks :barnie. Then as DH was on one of his hundreds of trips to our local Lumber Yard he came home with an 8 mil clear vinyl 4 ft wide. It is called Vinyl Pane
Here is a photo of him putting it up. If ya look close you can see his reflection on it.
5713_p1030283b.jpg

This stuff is double the thickness of the cover plastic and completely clear. :love :love We are planning to make framed panels of it to go along the sides of the greenhouse and cover the top with a double layer of the plastic cover. This will increase the sunlight coming in during the day. and we will be able to see out the sides as well as we can the front now :woot

Here is a photo of our Greenhouse this winter after we had gotten 6 inches of snow. The white inside the front panels is 1 inch foam board for insulation. And we have bubble wrap on the inside of the sides too.
5713_p1030779.jpg

It looks like a large glow worm from the highway :coolsun

Well I need to get out to the greenhouse and water my seedlings :watering

:throw Karan :D

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Awesome Karenleaf!
I bought a little 6.5 x 8.5 at harbor Freight last month but we haven't gotten it assembled yet. maybe this week.

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
:thumbsup Setter that would be great I know you will enjoy it.. :rose

Our Greenhouse is 20 x 38 x 12 we going to be selling plants for the first time. And sure hope it goes over well. :throw As the ecomony is right now it would be a benifit for folks to have a garden :tools.
Well sun is shining out I should go out and rake and clean the yard. :mow Tata for now :coolsun

:throw Karan :happy_flower

nursebay

Sprout
Reaction score
I live much north in Montana. I am getting the triple wall poly carbonate panels, but probably way overkill for your area. We got down to 27 below (though not typical) we usually sit in the teens to 20's in the winter time. Good for you for the greenhouse! I love growing year round! Im axiously awaiting the completion of my greenhouse .Its 12X20.

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hasn't rained for weeks here until we decided to put up the new greenhouse...sigh. We got part of the frame up but we were getting soaked and my hands were freezing so we gave up. :(

karanleaf

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
patchofheaven sure hope your greenhouse plans come together for you. And you have some wonderful results :fl :rainbow-sun

Setter I hope you have better weather this coming weekend to get your greenhouse together. :fl :coolsun

We have had some very strong winds the past few days and yesterday our neighbor calls me at the office and asks if I can get a hold of my DH. ? He was right there as it was lunch time. She said the wind was blowing the top off our greenhouse :ep :barnie DH went running. It took a 15 x 20 foot area out of the east top side in the middle :barnie. So he went off to buy a 30 x 50 tarp to cover the whole thing. That was another $120.00 we had not expected to spend this month :he But what can ya do? :idunno Anyway it's covered again with help of our Oldest DGS and a friend. :ya They almost went parasailing a few times :weee Wind they said was 25mph but I bet it was 30 to 35 mph, wow that was something. Any how a couple of flats got dumped but the plants can be recovered for the most part. And all is still in tacked. :rose

So going out this morning to recover more of the dumped plants, then water and head to the office. :thumbsup

Have a great Day Gang :rainbow-sun :coolsun

:happy_flower Karan :D

setter4

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I think we are just going to return the greenhouse to Harbor freight and frame up one from wood instead. The one we had seemed flimsy from the start so i guess we'll build one ourselves. :)

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Probably a good idea, Setter4. I have heard those types of greenhouses will blow away in storms if you don't retrofit! I hear building with used windows is the best way to go, but ours is also the greenhouse grade plastic for now . . . it is supposed to last 4 years, maybe by then we will have enough windows to fill it in.

Latest posts