Bumper sweet potato crop up north

pjn

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Dug my sweet potatoes yesterday. Curing them in the unheated greenhouse until cured. We are going to be 36 degrees Friday night. My question is will it be too cool for them in there?

PhilaGardener

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
@PhilaGardener , are the ones you are holding representative of the size of the ones in the crate? Those are nice sized. Good job!

They are representative of the larger ones in the crate (there are smaller ones too) - I just picked a large of each that were similarly sized for side-by-side comparison.

Dug my sweet potatoes yesterday. Curing them in the unheated greenhouse until cured. We are going to be 36 degrees Friday night. My question is will it be too cool for them in there?

If it gets that cold here (and it is predicted to on Sunday night for us), I'll bring mine in from the car (which is where I cure them packed in a box - parked in the sun during the day).

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Here is this year's sweet potato crop, dug this weekend. The blues are Japanese/Stokes Purple, the whites are O'Henry (which look a lot like conventional potatoes) and the reds are Beauregard. Really thrilled with the purple ones (it is my first year growing them).
SweetPotatoes2015.jpeg
Phila, How beautiful are those!!?? Wow! The purple is stunning. Great job and thank you for sharing pictures. I might try some purples next season.. I still have lot's to learn. I planted Beauregard this year, my first time growing sweet potatoes. They were small potatoes , but at least they produced this far north. We will see what next season brings.

barefootgardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
View attachment 9462
I wish you could tell what a giant sweet potato the really big one is. I guess the sweets loved our hot summer. I was 80 degrees just 2 days ago. Now it's cold and damp waiting for the hurricane, So far we are in the clear except for rain.
Nice! You deserve a pat on the back for growing such nice large sweet potatoes up north! Good job catjac!

Latest posts