Butterbeans!

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love butterbeans. I have my seed now and can't wait to plant them. How often do you pick and how many do you get at a time?

(tapping foot waiting impatiently for spring)

I have green beans like that-waiting on a killing frost! :lol:

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=33860

I have a place mapped out next to the driveway just a couple of feet from the green bean garden for the butterbeans!

(pacing floor, goes outside in dark, looks at grassy spot where butterbean garden will go, sighs, dog goes potty, goes back in the house)

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hay BayMule, when does spring planting season start down there in southeast Texas? Somewhere around January 15th? I'm going to try to make it be around March 15th next year up here, at least for the peas. Limas'll have to wait until the soil warms up though, good n warm. Might be able to try a few seeds covered early May, and then more and more until June. I got a 12 ounce coffee can almost full, it will be soon, of Hopi Beige Lima, a 3 foot tall viner, and the Large White Commercial Bush Limas are doing great too. The White Baby Commercial Bush Limas I guess made the same weight but less volume. I use them dry, in ham hock soup.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Marshall, I usually plant direct seed in mid March. That's when frost danger is usually past. Potatoes get planted in mid February, so they'll have time to make before the heat bakes them in the ground! :lol:

Welcome to the garden NikiLaw!! :welcome

wsmoak

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I still have plenty of dried beans left over from last year. I planted 32' and germination was excellent.

If anyone wants to plant Violet's Multicolored Butterbean this year, PM me your address and I will send some to you!

-Wendy

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
wsmoak said:
I still have plenty of dried beans left over from last year. I planted 32' and germination was excellent.

If anyone wants to plant Violet's Multicolored Butterbean this year, PM me your address and I will send some to you!

-Wendy
I ordered the seed when you first posted. I admired them all winter until I could plant them! :love They are climbing up the hay twine trellis and the corn now and are starting to bloom. I can't wait for BUTTER-BEEEEEEEEENS!!!! :weee

Thirtytwo feet?? WOW that's a LOT of butterbeans! Did you can any, freeze or just let them dry? I am counting down for fresh butterbeans! :drool

Latest posts