Butternut squash

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
They were picked by her on picnic table in back yard.

@Ridgerunner exactly as I do. Good news on this fruit, once brown, they are ripe. Does anyone eat green ones? Wouldn’t know why not but never have. Assumed (therefore could be dead wrong) the more mature, the sweeter.

@ninnymary since these are open pollinated, use the prettiest one to save seed from. (In your mind)

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
What did the stem look like here those squash were taken? Those are not going to separate easily from the squash. Could you tell if a knife was used? Other than a two legged critter I'd have trouble coming up with anything that would take one away without doing a lot of damage to the vine.

Mary, I'm sure there are other ways to save squash seeds and similar that get them really clean and neat, but I do like I think Seed does, at least in principle. Some details are probably different. Open a really ripe one before you cook it and separate the seeds onto a paper towel or newspaper. I try to spread then out not pile them up and don't just toss all the guts in with them, but I don't make much of an effort to separate them from the guts either. The guts will dry up. The gunk will dry up. I keep them in an outside workshop out of the weather for a week or more likely two so they are really dry, then separate the seeds and put them inside a glass jar with a good lid. That keeps moisture and things out that might eat them. If a bit of paper sticks to the seed, not a problem. If they don't dry out enough they will mold so make sure they are really dry.
I'm kind of a neat freak. Can I rinse the guts off and then dry on a paper towel? I like my seed to look pretty. :p

Mary

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
They were picked by her on picnic table in back yard.

@Ridgerunner exactly as I do. Good news on this fruit, once brown, they are ripe. Does anyone eat green ones? Wouldn’t know why not but never have. Assumed (therefore could be dead wrong) the more mature, the sweeter.

@ninnymary since these are open pollinated, use the prettiest one to save seed from. (In your mind)
Thank you for being so supportive. I don't know why your siblings treat you so bad.

Mary