Butternut squash

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Rupp seeds has butterbaby a similar variety that is earlier and keeps better.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes.

My problem is I have butternut 20’ away. Not sure if they have cross pollinated. Haven’t decided if I’m going to keep seeds or buy new. Where I buy new, I will have enough for years, so either way, I can repay your kindness and send some your way.

What does everyone think? Will bees cross pollinate them?

Some squash flowers are male, some female female with both on the same plant. But they have to have pollinators like bees to to pollinate them, they cannot do it unaided like beans or tomatoes. So yes, absolutely, bees will cross pollinate them.

Last edited:

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, guess next year will be mix. New variety, my saved seeds, & wife wants some “normal” butternut.

@Ridgerunner thanks for answer. I knew that but I didn’t put it together......

@ninnymary just noticed that butterbaby is a semi bush so it won’t vine as much. If you change your mind, let me know.

Last edited:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, guess next year will be mix. New variety, my saved seeds, & wife wants some “normal” butternut.

@Ridgerunner thanks for answer. I knew that but I didn’t put it together......

@ninnymary just noticed that butterbaby is a semi bush so it won’t vine as much. If you change your mind, let me know.
Thank you for the offer Seed. But I have a tall trellis that I’m going to plant 4 in the center. They can climb up the 6ft and then down if they are longer than that.

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
So yes, absolutely, bees will cross pollinate them.
Pumpkins and zucchini cross with such determination one might almost imagine that the idea that "opposites attract" is more true for them than humans.

It is probably true for the entire group.

Rupp has Butterbaby at 80 days (!) to maturity. Harris has Honeynut at 110 days and Butterbaby at 100 days. It's interesting that they almost agree on Waltham, 97/95.

Steve

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pumpkins and zucchini cross with such determination one might almost imagine that the idea that "opposites attract" is more true for them than humans.

It is probably true for the entire group.

Rupp has Butterbaby at 80 days (!) to maturity. Harris has Honeynut at 110 days and Butterbaby at 100 days. It's interesting that they almost agree on Waltham, 97/95.

Steve
Renee's Garden has it maturing at 110 days.

Package calls it Baby Butternut Squash Climbing Honey Nut. Guess they wanted to cover all the bases.

Mary

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Some squash flowers are male, some female female with both on the same plant. But they have to have pollinators like bees to to pollinate them, they cannot do ti unaided like beans or tomatoes. So yes, absolutely, bees will cross pollinate them.

sometimes i think we grow squash and cucumbers for the native bees alone. :)

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Our two Waltham butternut plants produced one mature squash and there were several small immature squash on the vines. Zucchini plants produced well this year with a minimum of them dying after pollination like last year. The spaghetti squash did well with two plants producing 21 squash. This year we grew white acorn squash for first time. The plants were a bush like zucchini plants, we harvested 20 squash off of two plants . I think the white acorn were a success here and going to grow again. I like that they are a bush and do not sprawl all over the place.
image.jpg

These are the last picking of the seasons winter squash, bottle goards, and Martin house goards.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Harvest and picture look great!

That was my experience with Waltham and Early Butternut, @Collector . I'm not sure if it isn't kinda my experience with Autumn Crown.

You may remember me complaining that it seemed like my row was only going to produce one squash, as we were moving along in summer. It did better, later.

It could be that the moschata squashes have trouble with the climate.

I don't like all my eggs in one basket ... squash basket either, and can you tell that I really like winter squash ;)? Years ago, I grew acorn and, although it didn't keep very well, I thought it was a winner. Then, there was a new garden and I had all these acorn squash and they had a funny flavor. Gave some to the neighbor and he even had the nerve to tell me the same thing - not a good flavor. Don't know that happened! But, it put me off acorn.

Anyway, growing Burgess Buttercup is okay. I have some Cha Cha Kabocha again this year. They seem to do better than the other kabocha. Hubbard had limited production and maturity ... one thing that I seem to have learned is that the days-to-maturity rating doesn't seem to matter. I wish that they would rate everything by "growing degree" units so we would have a better idea of the plant's requirements. Days are Daze ...

Steve
squash lover

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS' , I am not the winter squash lover in the family, it is our youngest daughter. She made soup out of the acorn squash I thought it was okay, but she said she liked the green ones the best. Also not 100% sure they are fully ripe either, and don’t know how to check. She likes spaghetti squash the most and can make several great dishes with them. Do you know of any other winter squash are bush type?

Latest posts