Can anyone identify these?

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
They jist suddenly sprang up in my garden area and i didn't plant 'em. They gorw at an amazing rate. There are some now about 6" tall that weren't there two hours ago.

This one came up today along wiht a few more a couple hours ago.

Picture002Small-6.jpg

And this one is about 5 days old and over 3 foot tall.

Picture001Small-9.jpg

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Thanx all. Is it edible at this point or is it jist left over weak plants that won't add up to anything?
Is there anything special i need to do to it to keep it and make it edible ?
If i jist let it flower and go to seed will the seeds spread and sprout into edible plants ?

DrakeMaiden

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I would think it would be edible.

Is there wild asparagus in your area? If so, that might be where it came from. How long have you been gardening there? Did someone plant it at some point? Depending upon which type of cultivated asparagus it is you may or may not get viable seeds.

Personally, I wouldn't eat anything unless I had a 100% positive identification (or essentially knew that nothing that looked like it was poisonous).

bluebirdfarm

Sprout
Reaction score
asparagus gone to seed , let it seed out for next year.
or eat it whenever really small like pencil asparaugs

tricia

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I wish I had random acts of asparagus happening at my place! Those little ones sprouting up would not have lasted past my lunch - they look delicious! As long as they are not super thick or 'woody' I would say they are edible.

janetnjim

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
DrakeMaiden said:
I would think it would be edible.

Is there wild asparagus in your area? If so, that might be where it came from. How long have you been gardening there? Did someone plant it at some point? Depending upon which type of cultivated asparagus it is you may or may not get viable seeds.
Hey Drake, This is my 1st time gardening here. This plot was gardened many many time for the 15 years previous to me. When i first saw these plants i figgered dey was 'sparagus and took a bite o' one :rolleyes: it was grrrrreat !!!
They jist keep poppin up one after another. I will start to pluck and save 'em while they're small till i git a few.
I figgered i'd jist let the big one in the pic go to seed and let 'em blow around and see iffin any come back up.

Latest posts