Can I/How To Root These?

HomesteaderWife

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My grandfather in law passed a few days ago, and after the funeral his girls (mother in law included) and grandma in law asked if I wanted to take a rose and baby’s breath home from his spray as they were themselves. They each expressed interested in wanting to try and root the flowers. I trimmed the stems and placed in water, with a piece of baby’s breath and a few rose petals pressed and drying to put in resin someday later. As far as I know, the flowers were cut for the spray that morning or evening before.

Am I able to root these at all? And I’d so, how would I go about it? I’m not a great gardener, and all I’ve rooted is my mother in law’s rose clipping before that I put straight in the ground. However it’s going to be cold on and off and I don’t want to shock these if I can get them started. Any advice is so much appreciated.

HomesteaderWife

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
image.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm sorry that this is the reason you are trying to experiment and save memories :hugs. Realize that it will be an experiment and that there are other memories.

The absence of leaves look like the first problem. Root growth, any growth, needs photosynthesis. Without it, the plant tissue has to deplete itself for growth - which is possible. Flowers will have to be taken off so that fruiting doesn't take precedence for the tissue.

The baby's breath is an annual, not one of the perennials. That may be a problem in itself.

Beyond that, all I can think of is frequent fresh water changes. Humidity with misting. Maybe a rooting hormone ... there are likely to be other gardeners here with more experience.

Steve

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
That hybrid tea rose had an entirely different plant as a root. I might suggest preserving them before they fade. I believe places that do framing or art supply type stores may know local people as well as would assume florists might know someone as well?

HomesteaderWife

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It seems the best bet will be to preserve these instead of trying to root and risk them ruining. As mentioned I did take and press some petals and small flowers and for the sake of I did take the stems and put them in some soil in a small inside pot with sun. I’m not the greatest at plants but worth a shot I guess? I’ve got the main rose head and baby’s breath drying on their own.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Make your own rooting hormones! Ever take a willow stick and push it in the ground? Come back later and find a tree? LOL

Take cuttings of small end type willow branches, a foot or two long. Snip in small pieces, soak in water for 3 days. Put the rose cuttings in the willow water, change every 3 days with fresh willow water.

Let us know if you are able to root the roses!

Latest posts