Can I plant grocery store horseradish?

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I doubt you need a piece of the crown attached, as the whole *reason* it's so hard (ok, impossible) to eradicate from the garden is that it will come back from small pieces of root left in the ground, a la thistle or quackgrass.

If it were me, and I couldn't find a storeboughten piece with crown, I'd just take the best-looking rootiest plumpest piece I could get, whack it into sections a few inches long, then pot them up so I could easily see whether anything was sprouting. Once I had a piece or two that was clearly growing, it could go into the ground. (You *could* put them in the ground in the first place, but unless you have remarkably weedfree soil it will be harder to tell what's goin' on)

Good luck, have fun, be careful it really DOES run everywhere,

Pat

Hattie the Hen

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
:frow

I seem to remember reading that it is best grown in plastic drainage pipes that are split length-wise. You open the pipe out & then pack the two halves with good soil with the horseradish at the top. Close the two pieces & tape together & lay the pipe at a bit of an angle.. They do this with exhibition parsnips & carrots too. Growing horseradish this way eliminates all the struggle to get it out of the ground & you don't forget where you have grown it!!! You could put it in the garage in the winter if it's necessary. :lol:

:rose Hattie :rose

big brown horse

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It is the most beautiful plant too! It looks prehistoric, so lush and big!

Good luck!

(I'm on my way to the grocery store to look for some horseradish!!)

freemotion

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
Hmmm, now I am wondering if a five gallon pail is big enough! Is it like potatoes, plant in the spring for a fall harvest if I want to treat it like an annual?

I wonder if I could just bury some pieces at the far end of my pasture (have to look up to see if the tops are poisonous first) or along the edge of my woods, where if it runs amok, it won't really matter....or will it then be impossible to dig up a hunk among the tree roots.....would you do it?

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
And everything Ive ever read about horseradish says to contain it - or plant it where you don't care if it spreads.

valmom

Leafing Out
Reaction score
What about starting them in 5 gallon pails and keeping them in there? No getting away from you, and easy to harvest, and no chance of invasion.

davaroo

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
valmom said:
What about starting them in 5 gallon pails and keeping them in there? No getting away from you, and easy to harvest, and no chance of invasion.
Good idea!

freemotion

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I think I will try this in the spring, plant some in an earthbucket. Our winters are quite cold, so it is probably a bit late to start it. Even in the garage it gets WELL below zero degrees F.

injunjoe

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
wifezilla said:
Can you do this with ginger too?
Yes, I have some growing now that came from the store's produce section.

I was doing a search for Horseradish and ended up here.

I am getting ready to plant some I picked up today. I cut into the bottom section and it is still green inside, so I feel it should grow just fine for me.

I picked up almost a foot of root. I am thinking 4-3" chunks will do the trick.
Sound like a plan?

Thanks Joe

Latest posts