Can i plant pop corn near eating corn?

greengenes

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Are you sure?? Crosses like that rarely happen but it's always possible, I guess. Got any pictures of the fruit?
Yes. It affects flavor. The books say plant sweet with sweet and non sweet with non sweet.
The luffa watermelon looked just like water melon but was very tough with thick fibers. Chicken food...but they had a difficult time with it.
It is 'mini colored popping corn'
I wanted some for decoration, but mostly for popping.
It is at the nursery, so I won't be able to look at maturity dates until tomorrow.
I could plant it last and just keep them sprayed with bacillus until they are dry.
That is what I will do.
Thank you all for the information.

annageckos

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've had pumpkin and zucchini cross and it never affects the actual pumpkin/zuke. What it does affect is the seeds and what is grown from them. I always get the normal zukes and pie pumpkins. Not sure why your watermelon wasn't good, maybe the seeds where crossed with something odd before you got them. Corn is different because you are eating the seed, and the seed is what is changed.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Most pumpkin varieties and all zucchini are in the same species, "Cucurbita pepo", so usually cross when you plant them next to each other. A luffa watermelon cross would be inter-species cross (a cross between two species,rarely happens) or maybe even inter-genus (I've never heard of them, doubt that there are many case. Also can't remember what genus luffa is in). I'm guessing that it is due to growing conditions (but you never know, that would be very interesting if it was an actual cross between luffa and watermelon).

I'll see if your mini colored popcorn has the gene, it may take a while. The easiest (and best way to guarantee that the two corn don't get crossed) would be to space planting dates a few weeks like most suggest.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Greengenes, if you ever get Cucumber to cross with Watermelon, PLEASE SEND ME SOME SEEDS!

About the Popcorn and Sweet Corn, yes, they can cross pollinate, and certain things about the seeds will be effected.

So it is a good idea to both separate them as widely as possible, and to time the planting of them so they are not tassling out with pollen and silk at the same time.

About that timing, remember that the days to maturity given for popcorn includes full ripening to dry cobs for the popcorn, but for the sweet corn, days to maturity are to good soft eating cobs that are not fully ripe.

buckabucka

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I grow sweet corn in a hoop house. Last year I tried red flint corn out in the field. It grew, almost reached maturity, and was consumed by raccoons.
This year, I'm considering putting the sweet corn in one hoop house and the flint corn in the other, but I'd have to squeeze it in with the tomatoes and peppers, so I'm not sure I want to sacrifice the space.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Last year, the coons showed up late as they always do. Not late enuf.

Their standards are not 100% but mostly, they want to eat the same corn we do. They want ripe and sweet. I had a little Painted Mountain flour corn. They sampled but quickly moved on. I had most of the sweet corn out before they got very far in it. That's how things usually work for us.

The last sowing of the neighbor's corn was a little too late. The overnight temperatures were already dropping and it needed more time. It didn't get enough, time that is. Between the coons and the frosts, I don't think the neighbor got any. The coons continued to come back for a couple of weeks.

Steve

Last edited:

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Now I'm wondering if I want to try planting corn for grinding. I sure don't want to attract raccoons to my property--and to my chickens. I did see one with a very bad leg last week, limping slowly down to the pond, then toward the highway later. It was dead on the highway by the next morning. (Oops, sorry--badly off topic)
Yes, back when I was supposed to know about such things, my advice would have been to plant the shortest season corn first, then the other at least a couple weeks later.

Mel

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
sorry again off the topic I string a hot wire 4 inches from the ground enclosing my corn patch for about the last three weeks to maturity. No more trouble with them little *@.#*rds!

greengenes

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I think all problems relating to corn are appropriate. We will need the information eventually.
There were crows watching me plant my corn and beans... I expected to come back to nothing.
I did buy a huge case of Irish spring soap to chop up and put into the vole trench that I dug all around my big garden. Then I am going to stop by the dog groomers and pick up dog shavings to put into the trench...and then I will get the turrets and Tommy guns ready and I will be all set.

greengenes

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
.. barbed wire or razor wire? I have three rows of string above the groundcloth visual barrier, to keep the clever chicken out, but now that she knows what is in there...

Re-reading all of this...I might be better of just going to the farmer's market each Friday.
But as my son always says about the easy way out. "What's the fun in that?"

Latest posts