Can I split a sky pencil holly root?

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I would also attempt a split if it looked plausible when examining it out of the pot. But it's not something I would advise someone else to do.

When you take the pot off, snap a few pics, I'm curious if it's two plants or if it branches below the soil.
I will. I do not think I will go too far, as it is so damaging to feeder roots when all the soil comes off and the very fine roots go with the soil.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Plants do recover quickly, and I never worry overmuch when doing a lot of transplants. They don't seem to skip a beat as long as you aren't brutal and they get watered in well. Those fine roots regrow pretty fast.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would also attempt a split if it looked plausible when examining it out of the pot. But it's not something I would advise someone else to do.

When you take the pot off, snap a few pics, I'm curious if it's two plants or if it branches below the soil.

i agree on both counts. :)

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
So they still are not in but soon will be.

I have been studying air layering and have a question...

Youtube videos from Herons Bonsai are really interesting to watch. The fellow air layers at a commercial pace. Maples and such as are useful in his arena and I feel like a genius for having watched him air layer his trees.

His technique used stranded sphagnum moss, a piece of newspaper and a piece of clear film plastic so he could see the roots develop. It basically a wrap. He says the stranded sphagnum (the kind that goes in the hanging baskets) is the fastest rooting medium for him. I have seen potting soil and peat and perlite suggested as a rooting medium also. What are you thoughts on the medium?

I could see splitting a tall plastic container with lid and using a powdery medium, because it would be instantly potted and all I would need do is separate the branch.

If the stranded sphagnum is to be used, then his method of rolling the moss around the branch in a wrap style seems more reasonable.

I need to set up for one way or the other.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
So they still are not in but soon will be.

I have been studying air layering and have a question...

Youtube videos from Herons Bonsai are really interesting to watch. The fellow air layers at a commercial pace. Maples and such as are useful in his arena and I feel like a genius for having watched him air layer his trees.

His technique used stranded sphagnum moss, a piece of newspaper and a piece of clear film plastic so he could see the roots develop. It basically a wrap. He says the stranded sphagnum (the kind that goes in the hanging baskets) is the fastest rooting medium for him. I have seen potting soil and peat and perlite suggested as a rooting medium also. What are you thoughts on the medium?

I could see splitting a tall plastic container with lid and using a powdery medium, because it would be instantly potted and all I would need do is separate the branch.

If the stranded sphagnum is to be used, then his method of rolling the moss around the branch in a wrap style seems more reasonable.

I need to set up for one way or the other.

if it stays moist and works it would be ok. but perlite makes no real sense in this application so seems a bit contrary. the primary purpose of the plastic wrap is to hold moisture in, being able to see roots would be a secondary thing. after enough experience you probably can just go by time. still would have to check them anyways to make sure they're staying moist.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Would peat be analagous to the stranded leafy sphagnum for this purpose? I suspect air is a component of this as well as constant moisture.

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
I don't think hollies are commonly divided. They do sucker up, but that might be the common holly. No idea if the Skypencils are prone to suckering, and my impression is that they don't. You could try it on a few and see. I wouldn't split all 12 until I had a feel for the outcome.
For a very small hedge, we recommend you place the plants no more than 12 inches apart, in a trench you have dug. For a taller hedge, you can still use 12-inch spacing, but you can also space the plants up to 3 feet apart. A spacing of 2 feet is probably ideal for all but very short hedges.

LoraMoser

Sprout
Reaction score
Once established, Sky Pencil hollies need very little care. They don’t need pruning unless you want to maintain them at a shorter height or narrower width. If you choose to prune them, do so in winter while the plants are dormant.

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thank you. They have been in the ground some 3 months now and seem to be prospering. I set them with trichoderma grow tabs at the bottom of the hole for a mild fertilizer and just this week fertilized lightly with a broad spectrum spray since I was starting the fertilizing routines for the year generally.

Latest posts