Can i use fluorescent lights

Gazinga

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
can i use regular fluorescent lights for getting my seedlings to grow in my inside green house. what are the different kinds of lights and the ones you people recommend? I am concerned about economy, what about the new LED's?

4grandbabies

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I just bought a reflective shop lite hood and the floresent bulbs for it from Walmart..it said on the box that its for shop use and also for plants.. so much cheaper than the the lights promoted in some garden catalogs, altho mine will take some thought to get set over my plant table properly, I still saved the $$$$$ I paid $14 for the 5' reflector hood and 4.00 for the bulbs for it. total $34.00 it hangs from a chain. I know we can rig a frame of some sort from scrap lumber ...
Edited to say $4.00 each for 4 bulbs.

LVVCHAP

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I have been using flourescents for years. I made this frame about ten years ago out of PVC pipe.

6475_copy_of_p4030005.jpg

patandchickens

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've never used anything BUT fluorescent lights, usually I run one 'regular' and one 'cool white' one per fixture; neither has my mother (having entered a retirement home at age 84, this is the first spring since she was young that she will *not* be starting a bunch of seeds). My mother says she tried the grow-light bulbs umpty years ago when they came out, didn't get any better results, went back to the cheap ones and has been happy with them ever since. Thus I've never used grow-lights myself except occasionally when I was given a few free. The regular ones certainly work just fine.

You do need them VERY CLOSE to the plant -- like 2-3" max above the topmost leaves. Use a cheapie shoplight fixture and hang it from chains as in LVVCHAP's photo above, that way you can adjust the light height frequently and easily.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Gazinga

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
thanks everyone for the response. I love the setup there chap, im going with your idea! how long do you leave the lights on or off?

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
LVVCHAP said:
I have been using flourescents for years. I made this frame about ten years ago out of PVC pipe.

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/6475_copy_of_p4030005.jpg
WoW! Great set up! Thanks so much for sharing!

Would you share your dimensions for those interested in building one?

I use cool white fluorescent shop lights also... on for 16 hours a day seems to work well for me.
I've seen anywhere from 12 hours to 24/7 recommended... would be interesting to hear others experience with different times ... :caf

Latest posts