Can i use fluorescent lights

LVVCHAP

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments. I saw the frames in the seed catalogs and could not justify the price. So it was a little bit of trial and error till I got where i liked it. I will do some measuring and get back to you. As far as the lights themselves, the fixture is just a shop light from Walmart and the bulbs are whatever is on sale. they seem to work just fine. Someone mentioned about keeping them close to the plants and that is true. Put the lights on a chain or something that you can adjust as the plants grow.

krzybo

Leafing Out
Reaction score
LVVCHAP said:
Thanks for the compliments. I saw the frames in the seed catalogs and could not justify the price. So it was a little bit of trial and error till I got where i liked it. I will do some measuring and get back to you. As far as the lights themselves, the fixture is just a shop light from Walmart and the bulbs are whatever is on sale. they seem to work just fine. Someone mentioned about keeping them close to the plants and that is true. Put the lights on a chain or something that you can adjust as the plants grow.
I too would love the measurements. This is a great set-up. Thanks for sharing it with us.:thumbsup

LVVCHAP

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I included another pic so that you can see a little clearer how it was made. I used 1-1/4 PVC pipe & fittings. The long horizontal pieces of pipe are 52", the short horizontal pieces are 12", and the vertical pieces are 16". I did not glue it together (you can if you want) but I found it nice to be able to take it apart to move if needed. I also mounted a power strip so you can plug all of the lights into one receptacle. Let me know if you have any questions. Last year my in laws gave a portable wardrobe with a plastic cover and it fit over the frame perfect, now I can enclose it and keep some heat inside if I need to.

6475_p4030004.jpg

Gazinga

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
how many hours a day should they get light? how long if al i have is artificial light?

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Dang I really need to geta light setup. I have tomato seedlings that germinated and are looking good but they are slowly drying out in the leaves. Their soil is moist and they are in my best window so I think it is a heat problem.

ABHanna4d

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
How much has this raised your electric bill?
How many seeds can you start on this setup?

ABHanna4d

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
LVVCHAP said:
I included another pic so that you can see a little clearer how it was made. I used 1-1/4 PVC pipe & fittings. The long horizontal pieces of pipe are 52", the short horizontal pieces are 12", and the vertical pieces are 16". I did not glue it together (you can if you want) but I found it nice to be able to take it apart to move if needed. I also mounted a power strip so you can plug all of the lights into one receptacle. Let me know if you have any questions. Last year my in laws gave a portable wardrobe with a plastic cover and it fit over the frame perfect, now I can enclose it and keep some heat inside if I need to.

http://www.theeasygarden.com/forum/uploads/6475_p4030004.jpg
How did you mount the chain to the pvc? (sorry Ive been asking a lot of question but I think this set up is great!)

Latest posts