Can someone identify this weed?

Southern Gardener

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
If it is Bermuda, then it's hopeless! I have it all over my yard and in my flower and veggie garden - you cannot get rid of it. It's very discouraging sometimes. :(

jlmann

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I agree with vfem - it doesn't look thick enough to be bermuda grass , but bermuda grass does grow the same way and about the only way to even halfway control it is to just keep diggind it out. My garden is under constant attack by the bermuda grass. I have found it tunneling from the edge to almost 8 ft. away and at least a foot deep the whole way across. If you can get it under control before it spreads would be a big plus because once it gets established it is definately an ongoing thing. I think the roots can reestablish with as little as 1/2 inch. Good luck getting it under control!

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vfem - wow thats a funny description, sometimes i can get a 'rope' like section, i guess if its not to deep, sometimes it breaks off right at the soil level, leaving me nothing to pull on .. well keeping fingers crossed i have not found them in my food garden, thats about 5 feet from my lawn with cement between, so heres hoping it doesnt jump .. i tried to make a raised bed for a new food garden in the 'lawn' section, so this weed may bite me in the back-end when i turn around? was i right to be worried it would swallow my roses whole?
and yes the one that grows in my lawn area, will catch your toes! thanks for the link i'll go look too .. and if i get any good info i'll pass it on ..
southern gardener - this weed, what ever his name is, is testing my no chemical stand!!
again thanks for info and support!

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
vfem .. yes in my lawn area i do have that .. the weed in my rose area shoot up as if he needs light, and tries to get taller than my ground cover i have under my roses, which he seems to be choking out ..

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Let me try to get some photos of mine.... my camera battery is charging now (Too many video's of my daughter from this past week!! LOL)

chills

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
well i thank everyone for the help, i learned alot ..
1. it doenst matter what the name is
2. i dont want to use chem's
3. and to just keep pullin'
man if only i was as successful with my food garden as i am with my weeds!

insiderart

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I think it's just bermuda. If you don't want to use a 2,4-D product you are reduced to pulling. You could try spraying with vinegar on lightly infested areas... but it's not likely to kill the stolons.

Tylianna

Sprout
Reaction score
I have the same thing in my garden. I feel the same way, I don't CARE what it is, I just want it gone. I spent a lot of time last year with my little hand rake (whatever it's called) and got lots of the roots out of my garden before I could plant. Then we put landscaping fabric down and I cut where I would plant. Big mistake... All it did was make the weed grow underneath where I couldn't pull it!!! When I finally pulled the fabric off, I just weeded and weeded for days to try to get as much of the "grass" and roots as possible!! So far this year, I've only seen a few, but my growing season has yet to begun. I know as soon as my garden is tilled they will show up, but it's easy to keep them at bay, than to get rid of a lot at once

Latest posts