Can we talk Raspberry?

seedcrazy

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
My yellows don't produce as much as the reds do either but they are yummy to gobble up, and I have a couple crops (mid summer and mid fall) so guess mine are everbearing. Were shared with me by a friend.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
As a child I remember the raspberries taking over a large part of my parents property. They finally took a lawn mower to them one too many times and they did not come back. I planted my raspberries at least 10 years ago. I thought how they had changed and did not seem to spread as I remember them. Until this year. They seem to be spreading suddenly this past season. I do not mind as they seem easy to control and are loved by my family. The thornless blackberries are my favorite. They are easy to propagate. I prune them stick the ends into the soil and wait for them to grow. They do not seem to spread very much on their own.

GardeNerd

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I grow everbearing raspberries. And I am also a fan of the Yellow raspberries. My favorite is Anne. I have also grown Kiwi Gold, but it was a little crumbly. Both varieties had a slight peachy sort of taste.

I grew dozens of varieties of red raspberries when I first started growing raspberries many years ago. I would buy a new variety almost every spring from the Calif. rare fruit growers booth at the Fullerton Arboretum Green Scene.

The red I grow exclusively now a days is Baba or Bababerry. I have taken all the others out. In my opinion, the other varieties sold for my area, pale in comparison and are not as tolerant of SoCal gardens. Unfortunately, Bababerry is really hard to find anymore since the patent expired and the main wholesaler for it, in CA central valley, isn't propagating it anymore. I like the Baba because it is big, not crumbly, can grow in partial shade, and can handle less than ideal raspberry growing conditions, like here on the West Coast.

However, I only pick between a pint to a quart on any given day during peak season from my little patch. It isn't all at once. My Blackberries are more dependable for a large harvest over a short period of time.

Latest posts