Canesisters 2018 Garden Thread - BTE/SBG hybrid??

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i love your helper/inspector of the works. :) looks great! happy gardening @canesisters :)

i wish we were neighbors, could have used that milk to make yogurt. so yummy you can taste the cow when made with fresh milk.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Had your milk gone sour? Does your milk last as long as store bought or longer?

Mary
It had gone sour. The 'weird' thing about raw milk is that it doesn't rot like store bought/pasteurized - it just keeps turning into other things. Leave the cream on the counter, get sour cream. Add a little vinegar or lemon juice, get simple cheese. Leave milk sitting on the counter long enough and get clabber (chickens LOVE this!). Leave it in the fridge too long and it separates so the whey is easy to collect. Eva's easily lasts about 2 weeks from the day it's collected until it gets just enough of a funny taste that I'd rather cook with it than drink it.
But I dried her off a couple of weeks ago. She'd been going for 15 months - and I wanted the time and fridge space for summer things.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
i love your helper/inspector of the works. :) looks great! happy gardening @canesisters :)

i wish we were neighbors, could have used that milk to make yogurt. so yummy you can taste the cow when made with fresh milk.

Oh yeah! Crockpot yogurt was one of the first things I learned to make. Sooooo good. And if you mix it 50/50 with milk and then follow the recipe for 'farmer cheese' you get cream cheese (or something that tastes just like it).

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh yeah! Crockpot yogurt was one of the first things I learned to make. Sooooo good. And if you mix it 50/50 with milk and then follow the recipe for 'farmer cheese' you get cream cheese (or something that tastes just like it).

love cream cheese and stiffened up yogurt and ... all good. now i'm hongreys. :) thanks, hope you have a fun day. gotta get some breakfast and then outside while i can... tomorrow rain/snow...

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
It had gone sour. The 'weird' thing about raw milk is that it doesn't rot like store bought/pasteurized - it just keeps turning into other things. Leave the cream on the counter, get sour cream. Add a little vinegar or lemon juice, get simple cheese. Leave milk sitting on the counter long enough and get clabber (chickens LOVE this!). Leave it in the fridge too long and it separates so the whey is easy to collect. Eva's easily lasts about 2 weeks from the day it's collected until it gets just enough of a funny taste that I'd rather cook with it than drink it.
But I dried her off a couple of weeks ago. She'd been going for 15 months - and I wanted the time and fridge space for summer things.
Do you plan on breeding her again?

Mary

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, they left Jan '17. It was getting to be just too much of an issue. Eva had Carter by then, so she didn't seem to miss them at all. She was a little pitiful for a couple of days after Carter left (this past January) but seems to be enjoying being an only cow again and not having to share any attention - or treats.
I don't know much about bulls either. My only concern was that the bull needed to have a record of producing calves with a low birth weights and a history of easy calving.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, they left Jan '17. It was getting to be just too much of an issue. Eva had Carter by then, so she didn't seem to miss them at all. She was a little pitiful for a couple of days after Carter left (this past January) but seems to be enjoying being an only cow again and not having to share any attention - or treats.
I don't know much about bulls either. My only concern was that the bull needed to have a record of producing calves with a low birth weights and a history of easy calving.
Thanks for answering all my questions Cane. I find your journey interesting. ;)Never thought about someone just raising 1 cow.

Mary

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Color me impressed that you stayed at it. & that you are going to do it again.

Latest posts