Canesisters

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
The rice cooks so long that the end result is a texture similar to cream of wheat. It's a smooth porridge sort of thing. The only constant is the rice & the water. Other than that, you can add anything. I made some with bits of ham - that was really good. The first batch was JUST rice & water and was a little too bland for me. The next batch I added the broth and off I went from there. Right now I'm adding chicken legs because they were on sale in a 6-pack. Once they're gone... maybe turkey, or maybe just the onion & garlic. You're supposed to use white rice, but I had a bag of brown so that's what I used.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Whats happened in the last month? Ive gone from eating stuff out of the garden to getting it ready for next year. Ive still got a few dead bean vines to take off the fence but otherwise the garden is in pretty good shape. Ill pile all my scrap untreated wood and dead tree branches in the garden and burn that after I prune my trees, then spread those ashes.

I bagged six chicken feed bags of compost after using some with the garlic and started another batch.

Ive given up on making a small cotton gin for my wife. I grew 18 cotton plants and got 4 large brown paper bags of cotton bolls but those seeds are a real pain to get out. What I built sort of works but those last fibers just wont come off the seeds. Ive searched the internet. There is probably a reason no one has posted how to make a small cotton gin that actually works. Any models there are for demonstration purposes only, not to actually use.

I guess the biggest excitement here was my wife was on a Federal jury. It was a political case. A city employee was fired in a way that violated his constitutional rights so the jury had to come up with how much money the city owed him. I dont want to get into details in a public forum, but youd expect better of the mayor of a decent sized city and the city attorney.

Except for Tromboncini squash Ive got my seeds ordered for next year. Im about 2 months away from starting peppers and a couple of weeks later, tomatoes.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pumpkin!!?

Not sweet congee? Oh, I've had what you are making - what was it that it had for some extra flavor, I can't remember . . .

Yeah, I just thought of it as chicken & rice soup but sooooo thick you can stand a spoon up in it!

It seems like I've had it with sweet potato . . . get Ridgerunner started with that ;). No, I looked on it as comfort food but as a breakfast, it was okay. The "breakfast congee" was different and as I've described. It was awfully sweet for my tastes.

Steve

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I think I want to try that congee for breakfast. Sometimes I cook a big pot of brown rice and freeze it in baggies, to be reheated for breakfast when I want it. Sweetness could be controlled. I'm thinking of cinnamon and brown sugar or honey, and butter. Maybe throw some ginger in there for good measure. Oh, and raisins!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Lychee, or pineapple.

I wonder what kind of beans . . . might have been black-eyed peas . . . that would be strange.

You know, if you cook a starch like rice long enuf it will "convert" to syrup. That may have been the sweetness. Cook it forever, add more rice and flavorful ingredients, cook it a little while again.

Steve

Latest posts