Canned Potatoes?

Lavender2

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thank you for that link. It will be very helpful!
You're welcome. Sometimes canning recipes will have varied boiling times for preparing vegetables for canning, especially if you are cubing, adding other ingredients, using a brine. I always like to make sure it's a tested, safe recipe... and then follow to a tee.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary is right...we can potatoes every year- and we love them! We usually can fingerlings, but this year we did our red potatoes, and they came out great. We are just finishing up our "keeper" yellow potatoes. Once they are gone, we will start on the canned. Hoping we have enough to get us through next harvest...

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I always wondered about that too, but was told that it is timed from when you drop it in the water. And you don't want to put too many in at a time because it does cool things down. They shouldn't be crowded in the pot.

@AMKuska , I'm sure they're still edible, probably just overcooked. You could use them for potato soup base, just add more potatoes.

Thanks Journey! :) Potato soup tonight!

bobbi-j

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
You're welcome. Sometimes canning recipes will have varied boiling times for preparing vegetables for canning, especially if you are cubing, adding other ingredients, using a brine. I always like to make sure it's a tested, safe recipe... and then follow to a tee.

I feel better about following tested, safe recipes to a tee, also. That's why I was trying to figure out the boiling time. :) I usually go by what my Ball Blue Book tells me.

Russets are cheap right now. I don't suppose that I can can them. (poor word choice....)

I don't know why you couldn't....

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
@journey11 we ate the canned potatoes and some canned carrots from my garden last night. Husband has no idea he got garden vegetables as he snubs anything that came out of the garden. He raved about the soup and how great it was.

MWHAHAHAHAHA!!!

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
@journey11 we ate the canned potatoes and some canned carrots from my garden last night. Husband has no idea he got garden vegetables as he snubs anything that came out of the garden. He raved about the soup and how great it was.

MWHAHAHAHAHA!!!

Awesome. :) I have to remember to do that more often for my picky toddler! Got hubby trained by now. LOL

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have an awesome book about how to hide vegetables in basically everything. He runs screaming from vegetables just like daddy, but has no problems sucking down smoothies with spinach and arugula hidden inside.

bobbi-j

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, we finally got around to trying the canned potatoes, and they were delicious! I did not over cook them while blanching, and they were a little firm rather than too mushy. I wasn't sure how long to cook them, so I just simmered them for a bit until they were hot. My white potatoes are now sprouting and getting soft, so I thought I should try the ones I'd already canned to see if it's worth canning the next ones. :)