Canning Pumpkin update Pumkin Exspensive

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Remember we are not talking for human consumption, but animal. Here home made dog treats are sold in pet shops. I already carry liability insurance on kennel, wonder how more more to cover dog food. When I was in pet supply store in Rye they had home made treats cut in Christmas shapes with a yogurt frosting, they where packaged in plastic wrap tie closed with ribbon. I bet i could easily get $12 a jar.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
State governments often have laws regarding farm-direct, retail sales that are quite unrestricted. Encouraging the sales and trying not to encumber the farmers may be more of a state orientation than the thinking of a local health inspector. Anyway, there are plenty of places where a local agency may want to require licensing but farms are exempt by law.

Of course, this has only a limited benefit for purposes of liability.

Your nephew may find that he has a market for farm products through sales at your shop, if'n you want to encourage the enterprise, NyBoy. This was one of the worse pumpkin/squash growing years ever in my garden - for reasons that are not easy for me to imagine. You are in the vine borer part of the country. Still, reasonable harvests should be expected with some species of plant family.

Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Would anyone know the ounces a medium size pumpkin would yield ? Do you have to peel a pumpkin before cooking ?
I chop up my pumpkin into big chunks and boil until soft. I scoop out the meat away from the skin and drain through a sieve for a long time. You clients do not want to pay for a lot of water. I whip it in the food processor and then freeze in 2 cup portions. When they thaw I drain them again. One thought if it is for pets you can probably leave the skin on and just blend it. That can be an added benefit in your advertising. Skin included. Most veggies claim the vitamins are all in the skin. I do not know if this is true for any however.

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
NyBoy, remember that Jack o'Lantern pumpkins are not what are usually used for human food. They are sold for ornamental purposes and tend to be nearly hollow. Competition for heaviest pumpkins at county fairs are with Atlantic Giant, actually a squash. All sorts of things are done to increase the weight of that squash.

Pumpkin for commercial canning is also a squash. Libby uses a C. moschata type, I believe.

If you are trying to convince a local to grow these for you, perhaps this pdf file from your land-grant university will help. Do a Google search for: "organic farm yield" site:Cornell.edu .

Steve

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
NyBoy, remember that Jack o'Lantern pumpkins are not what are usually used for human food. They are sold for ornamental purposes and tend to be nearly hollow. Competition for heaviest pumpkins at county fairs are with Atlantic Giant, actually a squash. All sorts of things are done to increase the weight of that squash.

Pumpkin for commercial canning is also a squash. Libby uses a C. moschata type, I believe.

If you are trying to convince a local to grow these for you, perhaps this pdf file from your land-grant university will help. Do a Google search for: "organic farm yield" site:Cornell.edu .

Steve
The most prolific grower is rumbo. It is the most orange of all and very dense and sweet. Somme catalogs call it a pumpkin some call it a squash.

Latest posts