Canning up the apples

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Monty, your first post shows apples being blanched. Yet, you didn't mention blanching them in your recipe. Are they blanched? Is this step necessary?

I think my apples got mushy because they weren't a hard apple. I figured after water bathing for 20 min. and then baking in pie for an hour, that they would still come out mushy. :/

I take it, I can skip the Mrs. Wages mix and just add my own spices? We don't have that over here.

Can you make a pie soon and let me know how it turns out?

Thanks
Mary

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Vfem, our tree is just six years old. It bloomed a few blossoms last year for the first time, but we got no apples. This year it bloomed heavily, but we had no pollinator so we only got apples on one side where some very nice bee decided to help out. The tree is a semi-dwarf and still has a lot of growing to do. Our squirrel population was decimated by some idiots that used to live on this road. Last year was the first time I have even seen one in the yard. I think we finally have mating pair nearby. I would gladly let them have the apples if they wanted them, just to get the population back up. Once they are around in numbers that become destructive, I can start having squirrel gravy and the occasional grilled squirrel kabobs ;) For now, that's the only garden raider I will tolerate with a smile.

Mary, the recipe called for bringing the blanch water to a boil, add the apples and blanch for 60 seconds. I didn't see the need after doing it with the first batch, so I omitted it in the second batch and saw absolutely no difference. I won't blanch again because I just don't see a need to blanch a fruit you are about to water bath anyway. That's why I left it out. If you used a soft type of apple, that is probably what went wrong. I make a lot of fresh apple pie using fresh apples, not canned, and I tend to use softer apples for that, since they are only getting cooked once. However, when I make apple crisp, I always use granny smith. They hold up well to the heat of the dutch oven. Dew wants me to make an apple crisp with the Jonathans. I'll probably do that in the next few days. As for making a pie, that's Dews department :D I'm curious as to how it works out myself, so I can see an apple pie in the very near future ;)

The only way you could skip the Mrs. Wages is if you can find Clear Jel. I can't find it here, so was stuck with the Mrs. Wages. You need the modified corn starch to thicken the filling. I have heard of people using regular corn starch and it worked. I have never done that myself and the USDA doesn't recommend it, so I can't really suggest it. The Clear Jel has been modified to withstand the heat of cooking and canning. However that makes me wonder about something. The ingredients on the bag of Mrs. Wages lists "corn starch", not "modified corn starch" as you see on many other labels. That kind of makes me wonder just what kind of corn starch is in that bag....

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ok Dew and Monty, ya'll take turns patting each other on the back! The pie filling looks delicious!
..........walks off muttering something about not having apple trees in Texas..........
.........opens pantry and looks at quarts of imitation apple pie filling.........
............grumbling under breath about zuchinni recipe......

:lol:

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
baymule said:
Ok Dew and Monty, ya'll take turns patting each other on the back! The pie filling looks delicious!
..........walks off muttering something about not having apple trees in Texas..........
.........opens pantry and looks at quarts of imitation apple pie filling.........
............grumbling under breath about zuchinni recipe......

:lol:
:yuckyuck :gig :gig Love it!!!! Sorry you dont have an apple tree there baymule. The pie filling is DELIC :drool !!!!! I got to taste some last night.... Monty had to re-process a couple of jars because the directions said 1/2 inch of head space, it over flowed. I never had some thing that good in a long time.

Looked up a flaky pie crust so I can bake a pie and see how well it really turned out. ;) :D

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Dew look up the vodka pie crust. Super flaky and works with any pie filling you want. Its the go to recipe for pies around here.

We also use an immersion blender for to most things on the stove. LOT less mess since you can blend it in the pot. Love that kitchen gadget

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those jars look so yummy! I've got some apples to do up here soon. Thanks for reminding me I need to get some clear-jel!

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Dew made a pie from the homemade filling last night. And the verdict is....

AWESOME!!! Probably the best apple pie I have ever had.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sorry Dew, just saw your question... And it's a good one, 'cause I can't find it either! I've always used the flour version of the hot pepper butter recipe with no problems, but thought I would switch this year to the clear jel as recommended. No luck! Back to flour, I guess...

Latest posts