Canning up the apples

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yesterday evening Dew and I picked the apples from the Jonathan. They were in much better shape than I previously thought, though we only got about a bushel:

Dew selected some of the better ones, and we washed, peeled and cored them:

We saved the peels and cores to try to make ACV:

A quick blanching:

A little magic and tada...12 quarts of apple pie filling for those cold winter nights:

Tomorrow, apple jelly...if I get home from work in time.

I also picked the other Concord vine this afternoon. I made about 6 quarts of juice that is settling out in the fridge right now. I'll strain it again tomorrow and can it up. I may use some for some apple-grape jelly.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well isn't that a pretty sight! It's actually making my mouth water! :D

I wish my trees would hurry up and produce something, I'm anxious to be making stuff with them.

Monty, do you and Dew ever make applesauce?

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This is the first year the tree has produced. I will try applesauce next year, but I need to get a good food mill first, since I don't have one.

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
They look fantastic! Our trees are not doin much this year. This has been a not so good year all around for us as far as growing things. It's been a meat year I guess LOL

The ACV works great. I make it every year just using the cores and peels. It didn't take long to get alchoholy. (not sure if that is a word...)

peteyfoozer

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I dont use a foodmill for our applesauce. We like it chunky, but it smooths out when you can it anyway

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Monty, last year I made apple pie filling and the pie came out very mushy. Does your filling hold up well in the pie? I feel that the water bath cooks the apple to much. What besides cinnamon do you put in that filling?

Thanks
Mary

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
beautiful monty & dew. I've come to the conclusion y'all can anything that doesn't get away from you fast enough. :gig

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Mary- This is my first year trying pie filling. I think it will be OK though. We had a chance to sample some after processing and a few didn't seal. The recipe called for 1/2" head space, but it wan't nearly enough as many jars forced syrup out from under the lids. Four of the jars didn't seal, so I opened them, removed a bit of filling and re-processed for another 14 minutes (normal processing time is 20 minutes, but I just wanted the jars to get hot enough to seal). The apples I removed from those jars were still on the crispy side, so they should hold up well to baking. Of course, Jonathans are fairly hard apples to begin with so maybe they lend themselves better to this type of processing. I couldn't find Clear Gel anywhere, so I had to use Mrs. Wages Pie Filling mix. I was disappointed to discover that it had some spices in it. When I opened a bag I could smell cinnamon. I tasted a bit on my finger and cinnamon was about the only flavor it had. So, I spiced it up a bit. Here is what I did:

7 quarts of peeled, cored, sliced apples (Don't ask me why it ended up taking 7 quarts to make 6, but it did. I think it had to do with the apples packing better when in the syrup).
6 cups apple juice
2 bags Mrs. Wages Pie Filling mix
3-1/2 cups sugar (the recipe on the Mrs Wages Bag called for 3 quarts apples and 3 cups sugar. I thought that was WAY to much sugar so I cut it nearly in half)
1 tsp Allspice
1/2 tsp Ginger
1/2 tsp Nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cloves

Whisk the apple juice, sugar and Mrs. Wages together in a large sauce pan. Heat on medium heat until thickened. Add apples and fold in. Fill jars and process for 20 minutes.

Things I discovered:

1. I made two double batches. It didn't have any adverse affects at all. The Mrs Wages recipe on the bag only makes 3 quarts, so I sped things up a bit. Since you are not working with pectin, I didn't see the harm.

2. Mrs. Wages calls for 3 cups of sugar per 3 quarts of apples. My BBB doesn't have a canned version, but the frozen pie filling recipe calls for 2 cups for the same amount of apples and another recipe I found calls for 3 cups per 7 quarts of apples. I made a single batch using the bag recipe of 3 cups sugar. I taste tested it and nearly went into sugar shock. When I added enough ingredients to make it a double batch, I left out the extra sugar and tasted it again. Another 1/2 cup of sugar was perfect.

3. The allspice, ginger, nutmeg and cloves are my own personal touches to liven it up a bit as the Mrs. Wages seemed bland out of the bag.

4. 1/2" of head space is NOT ENOUGH! From now on I will use 3/4"-1" of head space. That filling expands a lot! It made a heck of a mess on the cooling towel (but tasted good off the side of the jars :p )

I've come to the conclusion y'all can anything that doesn't get away from you fast enough.
:yuckyuck That's funny! I figure, if I can find it in a can at the grocery, I can stick it in a jar at home. We don't have a cold cellar, so we have to make do somehow. I hate seeing anything go to waste.

Oh, and for those things that try to get away too fast, I have guns ;) :gig

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'd be eating our Johnathon too.... except the squirrels got them first.

How old if your tree if you don't mind me asking?

Latest posts