Canning up the apples

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I made an apple pie last night!!!!!!! OH MY GOSH....... Monty couldn't even wait for it to cool a little. I think it was out of the oven 5 minutes before he cut into it. :D

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
so lucky said:
You can get Clear Jel on Amazon.com.
Looks like I'm going to have to get it online. What would I do without the internet, sometimes I wonder!

bj taylor

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
i'm going to keep watch for a good deal on apples so I can make some pie filling. are the tart apples the better choice?
there are no apple trees in this part of Texas. too hot!

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The apples we used were Johnothan apples they are a little on the tart side, but makes a good pie filling!!!!!

MontyJ

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Recipe for ACV:

Peels and cores from a quarter bushel or so of apples, dumped into a 5 gallon bucket then filled about 2/3 full of water. Sat it in the barn with some burlap over it. I stir it now and then when I'm in the barn, but not every day. I just checked it yesterday and it smells like a cross between cider and vinegar. There is a white-ish scum that forms on top (mother?). I don't have the courage to taste it though. Sorry I don't have exact amounts. I don't even know if I should strain the apple skins and cores out of it yet or not. I'll post a pic of it later today.

dewdropsinwv

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm thinking about entering our "pie filling" into a local contest next Sunday. I'll let you know if I manage to do it and where/if I place!!!!

Latest posts