Canning

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
My MIL didn't can the mashed potatoes, she just used the pressure cooker MANY years to make for dinner. Then she cleaned out the inside for storage.
In fact, though I also inherited her Mason and Ball jars, I never actually saw her can anything, though I know she must have.

swampducks

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My mom used a pressure cooker for like ever! I can't remember how many different things she cooked in it but I do remember pork chops browned with mustard then cooked in the cooker with a can of chicken and rice soup. It was pretty darned good. But she NEVER canned anything, she was certain home canners were getting botulism right and left. I think she feared for my life when I started canning back in 1997? Nope, still here. :fl

The Mama Chicken

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I use my pressure cooker for lots of things. It can cook a roast in about 30 minutes, and potatoes only take 5 minutes. Our favorite pressure cooker meal is 2 pounds of boneless skinless chicken thighs, 1 sliced onion, 1 head of chopped garlic (yes a whole head), and 1/4 cup of low sodium soy sauce. Add about a cup of water and cook for about 10 minutes after it gets up to pressure. Cool it down and open and serve over rice. Around here we call it brown chicken and my kids love it.

momofdrew

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I keep looking for a canning pressure cooker at yard sales...I had an old small presto cooker but it was so old I couldnt find a seal for it...used to make the best beef stew in it...it was too small to can in...

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
hoodat said:
Five dollars for a canner like that is a fabulous bargain. My All American canner cost me an arm and a leg but it's top of the line and you don't have to bother with gaskets. I wouldn't trade it for anything.
Ooooh, I've looked at those All American Canners... they're NICE! Good on you for having one.

A very dear friend recently bought me a brand new Presto 23-quart pressure canner. It came complete with really good instructions as well as some great recipes, including recipes for homemade soup stock. I have never canned anything before, either with a water bath canner or pressure canner. I guess I should start with water bath canning first, huh? I do have one of each & just itchin' to use them.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
A pressure cooker is not the same as a pressure canner. The pressure canner manufacturer recommends that you have the gauge checked every year by your county extension service. I don't know if they even do this any more.

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
NOT true. My model is marked/sold as a "pressure cooker/canner".

Please read the specifics to the products you buy. Many of the pressure canners available may also be used as pressure cookers, but not all pressure cookers can be used as pressure canners.

Just read your literature and decide for yourself. Mine is used for both.

grow_my_own

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
chris09 said:
Chris09,

Do you think maybe you could stop following me from thread to thread and trying to start arguments with me? That would be way cool of you.

Thanks.

BTW, the link you sent me doesn't change the fact that what I own is a "Pressure Canner/Cooker". Again, I reiterate, some pressure canners (read your owner's manual!) can be used as both, but most pressure COOKERS cannot. Not every piece of equipment is manufactured, marketed, or sold in the same way. In fact, the link you sent me SUPPORTS what I said in the first place.

I think I'm done with this forum.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
My pressure canner has directions for use as a pressure cooker, as well. So far, I have only used it as a canner...

Latest posts