Can't Cook for Beans!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cannellinis - I needed Google's help ;).

I have never made baked beans that I care about. I think this was a good attempt but . . . no cigar.

My bean repertoire must improve beyond soup (mmm, good) and chili (i'm pretty good with that too :)) if'n I'm going to make much use of dry beans from the garden.

Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cannellinis - I needed Google's help ;).

I have never made baked beans that I care about. I think this was a good attempt but . . . no cigar.

My bean repertoire must improve beyond soup (mmm, good) and chili (i'm pretty good with that too :)) if'n I'm going to make much use of dry beans from the garden.

Steve

I've been thinking along those same lines Steve. I use a lot of pintos, mostly in chili and refrieds, but the rest of my bean resume only includes a pitiful handful of varieties. Black, small red....wow, that surely can't be all?
I did make a Pretty Good version of ranch beans the other night though. Better than a lot of my efforts in that direction.
DH pronounced them "really good" so that's good enough for me!
Once I get the ingredients nailed, we'll try them next summer in the dutch oven, over the fire ring coals.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
A friend gave me some frozen cod. What is the very simplest way to cook frozen cod?

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
How would you explain "ranch beans."

Would it be slow cooker chili with beans & pork, not beef?

Marshall, thaw first, then: Zatarains makes a good breading called "Fish-Fri, Crispy Southern style." Into a skillet with hot oil.

Otherwise, sprinkle with Mrs. Dash and into that hot oil.

The next day or 2: break up the cooked fish fillets, saute onions & garlic, boil chopped potatoes until nearly cooked, drain most of the liquid from the potatoes, add the onions & garlic & fish. Continue cooking.

You may want to stand by with the potato liquid and, certainly plan to do some stirring to keep from scorching. Add half & half when potatoes are completely cooked. Chowder. Good reheated. Diced bacon can be used instead of oil for sauteing onions/garlic. A little hot pepper helps with the fish & the chowder.

Steve

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
A friend gave me some frozen cod. What is the very simplest way to cook frozen cod?

We cook salmon in the oven on an aluminum foil lined cookie sheet. It then gets sprinkled with seasoning and maybe some sliced lemons or garlic. I've never had cod before so couldn't say if it would be good this way.

During my short time in boy scouts we tried cooking some freshly caught Bluegill in a pit of hot pebbles, it was pretty fun and tasted OK.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thanks seedo. since i'm not cooking it tonight i'll entertain other possibilities, but maybe that'd work for the cod. it was caught in the ocean on a fishing boat.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Another simple option for fish: just bake it in a pan ( I like glass)
with some pats of butter and slices of lemon on top if you have some.
Cover the pan with foil and bake until the fish flakes and is translucent.

Last edited:

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We use beans in soup, pot beans, and baked beans. Our first try with baked beans was a disaster. They had a very small amount of tomato paste in them and tasted like those spaghettios I remember from when I was small. :sick (I do not know if I spelled it right, they're those small microwavable cups of "fake tasting" tomato-covered noodles.) Our second try was a different recipe and tasted great! :drool

Latest posts