Can't Cook for Beans!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
tools.gif

Can you?

What will be your vegetable dish on the Holiday table?

digitS'
& you already have an idea what Steve's planning for that casserole

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
Scalloped potatoes and green beans...both from the garden. Honestly, I don't have to cook for Christmas Eve or Day, since off to grandma's house we go, but DH's work gave us the usual ham, so I'm going to cook our big dinner on Monday instead.

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Doing steaks on the grill, steamed green beams or broccoli (waiting to hear which is preferred), roasted garlic mashed potatoes that my wife is making ahead of time for us (with Yukon golds for those who are keeping score at home) and peanut butter cup pie (just made that made today) for dessert. I'm working Christmas so it's me, my partner, & the officer on patrol on the evening shift I invite them for holiday dinners at the station if I'm working so they are not eating alone. Have to have something we can cook fast & reheats well if we get toned out. So that's my dinner plans.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I wanted to have a "dry run" for a new recipe but may not have the opportunity.

It didn't occur to me until some Rattlesnake beans were soaking for tonight's dinner. I like those as chili but I was thinking that it has been a long while since I've put kale with beans and that got me thinking about a bean casserole.

Anyway, having beans 3 times this week might be a little too much! Baked beans have always been tooooo sweet but maybe I'm missing something - like less sugar/molasses ;).

Oh, and my traditional plan for a nice beef roast has been "altered" by DD. She wants a roast chicken. Shoot.

Steve

Jared77

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
She wants roasted chicken instead of a roast beef? o_O

I like your idea better Steve. And bean casserole sounds good too.

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
Entrapment!

Actually, I don't know what'll be for Christmas. Maybe BEANS!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I was hoping you'd reply, Marshall.

Have you ever had kale and Cannellini beans (link)? That's very good but I think it would be best with something like the Cannellini bean, starchy but not a lot of bean flavor.

It got me thinking about something like this: White Beans With Cabbage (link). It seems like a baked casserole it could be a little more complex than that but I like the idea of a lot of carrots. I wonder how it could be a little more "festive." These peasant foods are the right route for me to take and it is fun to have most of the ingredients from the garden.

Steve
Ha! Nyboy, she discovered that we had a nice big roast chicken the other day and she showed up on the wrong day for that. Well, we could . . . even if they decide they have to have the candied sweet potatoes (do that early), there would be room in the oven for both the roast & chicken. And, please - we need to give the green bean casserole a rest . . .

Last edited:

897tgigvib

Garden Master
Reaction score
I actually don't have Canellini, but I have Flageolet, Senate Soup, abd Harvey's Haricot Tendrais.

I might try the Flageolet gourmet french dry beans. They are light green when fully dry. Productive too.

See? Told ya it was entrapment, heh heh, I know how ya work! :lol:

The little giggle face is gone...

ohp, the abyssinian and the british shorthair are having a tail slashing contest. that means there's gonna be some more wrassling...

Latest posts