Cat question

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tuna alone is not a sufficient diet and cats have died from people feeding them canned tuna instead of canned tuna cat food. But it's a flavoring and ingredient in nearly every brand of cat food... so I'd think that it would be ok in reasonable amounts.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
He is probably uncomfortable from them digging out the stools - so he's going to act a little off and sit funny for a couple of days.

Does he like the hairball med? It's basically a lubricant to move things along. My cats go NUTS for coconut oil - the solid kind. I give them a glop once a week or so. Mayo is another oily 'treat' that he might like. Anything that he can eat every day - maybe with his food - to keep things moving. Like others have suggested, will he eat his dry food if it's soaked in something like broth or tuna juice? What about scrambled, or raw egg?
Have you tried bits of chicken? Maybe a 'real food' diet for a couple of weeks - or as a daily supplement to his dry food - until he gets this out of his system?

He's gorgeous! I hope he is feeling better soon.

He will not eat eggs. I give him coconut oil, but not on a regular basis and the hairball I can get it down him, but he does not like it. I can try a different brand or flavor. I have tried chicken broth store bought but he does not like it and I think something is strange about chicken. When I was a kid even maybe into 20s when we cooked chicken especially fried, our cat and different cats over long periods of time, would beg and meow around around our legs while frying chicken and have to give them some when done, but in the last 40 years I have never had a cat beg for food when food is cooking and even when given chicken they will not eat it. Mister comes when he hears somebody eating chips, lol.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Tuna alone is not a sufficient diet and cats have died from people feeding them canned tuna instead of canned tuna cat food. But it's a flavoring and ingredient in nearly every brand of cat food... so I'd think that it would be ok in reasonable amounts.

Agree, tuna is just to be added to the diet. I am not sure what is in this can cat food that makes it so bad. If I buy canned cat food and put in his dish, he uses his food and sweeps the air and floor trying to find something to cover it like he would stuff in a litter box. I used to feed wet and dry cat food years ago and never had this problem. I have worried about too much tuna because of the mercury problem.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought tuna and tuna oil was bad for cats and dogs. As a point of info-cats will die eating aloe. The vet did not seem to help much if you didn't get more info.

And I read give cats aloe for constipation. Glad I did not do that. There really is not tuna oil in tuna. There is tuna in water and the tuna with oil IT IS VEGETABLE OIL!!!!. Unless maybe some special stores may have tuna in real oil. Just like peanut butter, they take the peanut oil out and put in a vegetable oil or you buy Adams natural peanut butter or grind your own peanuts.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Dunno...first hit:
Metamucil is a source of fiber. Mix one to four teaspoons with your cat's food every 12 to 24 hours. - Miralax is another laxative and stool softener. Mix 1/4 tsp once a day with wet cat food.

I did see Miralax and watched a video of a vet giving an enema and prescribing Miralax. I thought this vet would give Miralax, but it is lactulose. I changed the vet appointment to this afternoon. I do not like how he is breathing. He did just go again in the litter box, pretty good amount, almost getting too loose now, but vet said did not hurt for a day or so. I do not understand his breathing because even when he was really plugged up and straining he never breathed through his mouth. I have to establish care with a vet and might as well be today as tomorrow and maybe they will help him though today. He may need some fluids under the skin, all the stuff coming out and he is not drinking water.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
He is probably uncomfortable from them digging out the stools - so he's going to act a little off and sit funny for a couple of days.

Does he like the hairball med? It's basically a lubricant to move things along. My cats go NUTS for coconut oil - the solid kind. I give them a glop once a week or so. Mayo is another oily 'treat' that he might like. Anything that he can eat every day - maybe with his food - to keep things moving. Like others have suggested, will he eat his dry food if it's soaked in something like broth or tuna juice? What about scrambled, or raw egg?
Have you tried bits of chicken? Maybe a 'real food' diet for a couple of weeks - or as a daily supplement to his dry food - until he gets this out of his system?

He's gorgeous! I hope he is feeling better soon.

I am wondering if these cats will have to go to real food. If it was just 1 cat this would be pretty easy, but Peeky the one that drinks water will eat NOTHING not even a different brand of dry, only Purina. She is old and not a lot of weight on her. She will not eat salmon or tuna, nothing.

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
He is such a fun cat that I have always said if something happened to him, I would go and get another flame point kitten and never want another kind of cat, but this is not a good thing. I am not sure how often female cats get this, but something to think about.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
He may be mouth breathing in response to the vet visit and procedure. That's a lot of stress for an animal that is mostly an indoor stay at home animal.

I don't think it's unusual for animals to have strong food preferences, especially if they didn't have a lot of variety when they were very young. IMO it doesn't indicate that there is a problem with the food necessarily. It does make it harder when the time comes to make some changes for their health. They get stuck in their ways too.

Latest posts