Cat question

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
My 3 kittens (1yo this month) that we nursed at 3 weeks of age don't go outside. My 4 inside/outside cats eat the same dry cat food, and they are always catching mice, moles, birds, sometimes rabbits, yes adult rabbits bc I have seen the fur and Eva stole one 1/2 eaten in January. The kittens went from cat milk replacer to wet food to the dry food and I am SURE that they have hunted and caught and ate mice that have tried to find warmth in the cold, cold basement this winter. I haven't seen a single mouse or evidence of any, like I did when I was down to one cat a few years ago.
I don't recommend any kind of cat food. DD's have 2 of the cats that used to live at my house and they have switched up their dry food to a better one for inside cats. Dunno if their cats have caught any prey or not.
I feed Meow Mix, which is kinda cheap meat flavored food, but I expect my cats to supplement their feed with kills. It is their JOB around here.
I suspect that your cat either has some bad health issues OR consumed something that didn't agree with him. DD's one cat had to go the kitty ER last year. He ate a string of thread cut off of a serged piece of fabric and it got stuck between his tongue and his stomach. $1,200 later he felt better.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
He is back to normal today and feeling good, taking his medicine. He ate the whole can of Fancy Feast yesterday and tuna. He had tuna this morning. Tomorrow we will go look for the water fountain. I have seen him drink a little water yesterday. His little tiny Fancy Feast costs a fancy amount of money. I am going to go to Walmart to get a can of Meow Mix and Fancy Feast. There is something I have noticed. Peeky has had horrible hair lately and we switched to Purina Hairball formula dry food and her hair has started to look really nice. I thought my imagination and did not say anything and DS said last night, do you think Peeky's hair looks better? The first ingredient is chicken. The dry food they have hd for years was Purina Cat Chow Complete and the first ingredient is poultry byproduct meal. Fancy Feast ingredients are chicken broth, chicken, liver, wheat gluten, meat by products, corn starch-modified
Ingredients: Chicken Broth, Chicken, Liver, Wheat Gluten, Meat By-Products, Corn Starch-Modified and a list of vitamins and minerals. I am going to try making chicken broth for them. The only thing worries me about Blinky is I had started tuna a few months ago hoping to help him have softer stools and I put the tuna liquid in his dish with the tuna and he has been drinking that liquid up and still he was constipated this severe, so it may be he has megacolon and the muscles are not strong enough to move feces. I guess being on this medicine is not the end of the world.

i wonder if the tuna water just had too much salt in it too, but dunno... tuna itself doesn't really have that much fat or fiber. cats being primarily carnivores i would not think that would be an issue, but many times if a cat gets a larger animal it will eat the head first (brains have more fat) or at least that is my experiences...

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
I suspect that your cat either has some bad health issues OR consumed something that didn't agree with him. DD's one cat had to go the kitty ER last year. He ate a string of thread cut off of a serged piece of fabric and it got stuck between his tongue and his stomach. $1,200 later he felt better.

I thought it might be a furball or string, but they said there was nothing like that in him. He does not drink very much water or some health issues we do not know. He is very active and looks good.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I thought it might be a furball or string, but they said there was nothing like that in him. He does not drink very much water or some health issues we do not know. He is very active and looks good.
I wonder would a cat benefit from a salt lick to make him thirsty.

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
My Mother's old cat who has kidney disease, has been on lactulose for several years. He only poops every second or third day. I get to hear the poop report every Sun and Wed when I call her. But it keeps him alive as does the KD and OD canned food (RX) he's on for his kidney and stomach issues. He does get a bit of dry food too.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
My Mother's old cat who has kidney disease, has been on lactulose for several years. He only poops every second or third day. I get to hear the poop report every Sun and Wed when I call her. But it keeps him alive as does the KD and OD canned food (RX) he's on for his kidney and stomach issues. He does get a bit of dry food too.
hahahahahaha

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
DS and I are starting poop reports too. He did not go yesterday, but he did today. Still pretty hard for being on lactulose every 8 hours, drank A LOT of salmon juice, had tuna and Fancy Feast, so not sure yet if this will be a daily poop, miss a day or what. He is feeling good and very active. I have not tried to cook broth for him yet.

Latest posts