Catalogs, 2022

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The first was the onion catalog from Dixondale.

This might help @ducks4you to grow larger onions. I have started onions from seed in the February, unheated greenhouse for years. However, the largest sweet onions that I have grown were from Dixondale starts. I usually have some onion sets in the garden for the earliest to harvest. But, onion varieties for sets must be specifically from those that can be stored through the months of winter. Sweet onions are not known for good storage qualities.​

The second catalog to arrive was HPS from the Jung's group. I haven't done any comparison of prices or checked online ordering but this early arrival of seed catalogs is about what I've come to expect in recent years. Will begin my usual perusal, today :).

Steve

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Strange to be getting catalogs so early. I would expect that most seed growers are still processing & inventorying the year's harvest, and the companies buying seed from others would be unable to finalize their catalogs until seed comes in. I - and I suspect others here - am still cleaning & sorting seed, and updating exchange lists & records.

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I also got the catalog I prefer to buy from yesterday.
36768.jpg

Compared with other leading seed companies here, the information provided in the catalog is sufficient, and more importantly, their germination rate is satisfying.

36771.jpg

36770.jpg

36769.jpg

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The onion outfit sells started plants and likely has those growing or soon to be growing.

We never really know when seed purchased was harvested with the statement "packaged for ..." @Phaedra Geiermann , it's good to have that germination rate right there in the advertisement. Some companies show that on their packets, for some, it's nowhere to be found.

We should realize that many outfits are retailers only; the products that they sell, especially hybrids, come from a source that may supply many retailers. There are likely acres used and contracts to be filled. I imagine that because of isolation requirements and hands-on labor, seed production could be quite complicated.

Integrity that can be relied on is something golden. And, that is something that Mom & Pop operations and the retailers that buy from them, could maintain, as well. Those offerings can be exciting to explore :). And, growing anything is a gamble. Success - a reason to celebrate! Yay!!!

Steve

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
True, @Pulsegleaner . However, here is a case contrary to the point of prompt updating - altho HPS still has some time to change their online catalog before 2022.

The paper catalog has new tomato seed varieties. The claims are higher brix levels and additional disease resistance for Better Boy, Big Beef, Celebrity, and Lemon Boy. Here's an article in Grower Talk magazine on these "Plus" varieties:

No, I can't link to the online catalog showing them and I checked both the HPS website and their pdf catalogs. Not There. I doubt that I'd be taking advantage of these in any case. They are 250 seed packets and $24!

Maybe they will show up in smaller packets soon because the Lemon Boy especially interests me. That variety should be due for an improvement on disease resistance ;). I've had good seasons but the last time I grew it, it was a big zero because of disease! I don't really know what attacked it but it had always seemed a little vulnerable to something. Well, there are other 2022 choices for me ;).

Steve
BTW, quite a few outfits have "more" on their websites and often mention that in their print version.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Speaking of new places, I have to give props to this Ghanaian place I found on Etsy. It's expensive, yes (though given how much seed you can get for some things, and that the price includes the shipping AND the Phyto certificate* it's not actually that bad)

On the other hand, they have a LOT of really interesting stuff (if you live somewhere warm enough to grow it). I've ordered four things so far, the Kersting's Groundnut (which I have been trying to track down for literally decades) two kinds of sword beans (one here, one on the way) and I'm testing out the Dabo okra. (again on it's way)

https://www.etsy.com/shop/Jibrilenterprise?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=972869206

R2elk

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The paper catalog has new tomato seed varieties. The claims are higher brix levels and additional disease resistance for Better Boy, Big Beef, Celebrity, and Lemon Boy. Here's an article in Grower Talk magazine on these "Plus" varieties:
Be aware that the Lemon Boy plus is not a Lemon Boy. Lemon Boy tomatoes are a true yellow tomato. The Lemon Boy plus is an orange tomato and has smaller fruits than does Lemon Boy.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've kind of given up on paper catalogs.
Since I stopped ordering seed, most catalogs have given up on me. Or I contacted them to take me off their mailing list, so they wouldn't waste the paper. The few things I can't grow myself come from just two companies... and for something new, I can always turn to SSE or TEG. :)

Latest posts