Cats and more CATS

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have a Tom cat prowling around here at night and has attacked momma kitty in the garage a couple times. So old tomcat has a date with destiny as soon as I catch him in the live trap. I am not a person who enjoys killing animals or anything, but for me it just the practical thing to do here. @bobm, I think that you problem is only going to get worse once they start breeding if they aren’t already. I suggestion is do what ever you have to get rid of them. Maybe set up a shooting lane with a light,a backstop and some bait, then just wait them out. You could maybe get a couple before having to change your set up. Or maybe a dog that can patrol the yard at night. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
My son's ex in-laws had the same problem. A neighbor that feed strays that stayed and had kittens until the populations was huge. It was finally solved with several neighbors doing the SSS and a county that was willing to pick up / take the ones live trapped.

our county will not transport animals so you have to take them in and pay a fee to drop off. they'll keep them a short time and then if nobody wants them they will kill them. that is probably what the fee covers.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Bobcat decimated my little town's cat population. When we moved here in 1999 you sometimes had to stop your car to get a cat to move off of the street. Then our cat numbers plummetted. They found the skeleton of the bobcat, who had stupidly gotten it's head caught in a wooden pallet, along with numerous domestic cat skeletons. I recently heard that we had good bobcat hunting season, too.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bob you don't have coyotes where you live ? At work there was a big problem with wild cats. Then the coyotes moved in can not remember last time i saw a cat
On our ranch in Cal., we have at least a dozen coyotes on their community sing within 100 feet of our front door every night year round. The life span of a cat is about 2 weeks. We moved to a small town of 20,000 people in SW Washington about 5 years ago . It is a bedroom community near Vancouver, Wa. To date I have never seen much less heard a coyote here. So cats abound and song birds ( except starlings, crows and sea gulls ) are a rare sight.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i don't think i've ever seen a bobcat around here. foxes, coyotes are around but rarely seen (i've seen 2 coyotes in 20yrs), supposedly bear and wild pigs are around but they are rare too (so far) can't imagine what wild pigs would do to a garden... eek!

Latest posts