CC's Fruits, Veggies & Food 2023

HoleySmokes

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I was going to till in what is remaining of last year's lettuce and late germinating red romaine. Until I seen the price of $5.98 per plant at rural king:ep . That changed my mind pretty quickly 😂. How in the world do people justify paying $6.00 for a lettuce seedling? It still has to grow and be cared for - crazy talk!

I wonder that very same thing when I go to Lowes or Home Depot and see people with buggy fulls of Bonnie Plants. You can by a whole head of lettuce for $1.50-$2.00 or you can by a leaf lettuce plant for $6. Broccoli and cauliflower is the basically the same price point. I've even told people that if you go to the county north of us, which is a farming county, you can by those same plants for 1/3 the price, they just kinda talk for a minute and then roll off to the counter to buy what is in their buggy. Stupidy is running rampant.

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I wonder that very same thing when I go to Lowes or Home Depot and see people with buggy fulls of Bonnie Plants. You can by a whole head of lettuce for $1.50-$2.00 or you can by a leaf lettuce plant for $6. Broccoli and cauliflower is the basically the same price point. I've even told people that if you go to the county north of us, which is a farming county, you can by those same plants for 1/3 the price, they just kinda talk for a minute and then roll off to the counter to buy what is in their buggy. Stupidy is running rampant.
I don't do the grocery shopping so I didn't quick check on the kroger dot com web site. Hmmm... $6.00 for red romaine seedling or $2.50 for a head of red romaine? I think the answer is obvious or at least it should be.
Screenshot_20230427-082628.png

I do agree stupidity is running rampant and common sense isn't very common.

I wanted to add the conversation I had with my wife about lettuce. She said garden lettuce doesn't last but a few days in the refrigerator. But store bought lettuce last a lot longer. We both scratched out heads wondering why? Then I said well I reckon garden lettuce stores best in the garden for use on demand.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
T-Bone and nugget enjoying supper of a little commodity and flaked finishing corn. Small daily commodity ration, grass fed, corn finished 😋
IMG_20230427_162736344~2.jpg

Romeo, oreo, brisket, bessey, and daisy also enjoying daily supper ration of commodity.
IMG_20230427_162658550~2.jpg

Romeo has really grown since we got him as a freshly weaned bull this past December. Here's his picture in the stock trailer on the way home.
Screenshot_20230129-201235.png

Blessed to have them 👆

Last edited:

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm researching and gathering information to develop shelf life for various food stuff. Does anyone have a legitimate input?

P.S. Please don't share links to creepy tracking, ad ridden, click bait websites, trying to make a $ off your clicks. There are many out there.

Thanks

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Three internet photos (not mine) that speak to me.

Hand carved spiral staircase, the definition of craftsmanship.
d9146eaf19f8b386.jpeg

It isn't a far stretch to ask, what happened to the family that once lived here? If I had the option I would restore the land, house and the old chevrolet.
d6a16b9002ab5161.jpg

Some pictures need absolutely no words, they speak for themselves.
a513830165534f48.jpeg

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Tilled up the garden yesterday and today. Set out a row each of ruby red, yellow sweet spanish and white sweet spanish onion transplants from seed I started indoors a while ago. The soil is still pretty cool.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I am sure that we can all put together that list.
I know that frozen meat lasts more or less for one year.
(pressure) Canned fruit isn't much good after about 3 years, IMHO.
Dried beans, dry rice, dry pasta can probably outlive us if it never gets wet and is stored right.
Don't think I would enjoy 5yo jelly.
Anybody else?

farmerjan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Most of us here that name animals have things like Ribeye, Brisket, T-Bone, Sirloin, Rump roast... all the things you want out of the beef... and there are few with less complimentary names because they are PITA's..... We named the pigs Bacon and Hambone and Sassy for sausage.... and things like that.. or just Lard A$$.....

Romeo has grown.

Got my onion plants... $5.00 for bundles of 50 plants... and picked up the tomato plants at the nursery/greenhouse I like to go to.... the other day and they are in the 1/2 greenhouse that I ordered, that sits against the house on the deck.... handy to the back door and easy to run one of the "milkhouse heaters" out there for the next couple weeks for the chilly nights... I am paying $2.99 for a 4 pack of the different plants; so $.75 per plant... they are 6-10 inches high and look good... Yes, more expensive than starting my own but I get about 5-6 different varieties so that I can have different kinds.... and not too many of any one kind.... I also got a few peppers but have just started some also..... it will be a month before they go out in the garden... our last frost date AVERAGE is May15th.... but it still gets awfully chilly through Memorial Day... so I am not in a rush.
Guy plowed and tilled the garden again this year, once... it was earlier than I wanted really... and he said he will come back in a few days and do it again which will chop up all the newly growing grass seedlings coming up... then I will plant and mulch and be done... I don't get in a rush as early planted stuff is always ready when we are heavy in making hay... so waiting a bit works better than having everything coming ready in July.... it starts getting serious in August and we will have a lull in hay normally then... and later planted potatoes here seem to keep better... they are all sprouting and ready to go in as soon as it is reworked. I will direct seed beans and melons and cukes and all that stuff...

farmerjan

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I've been eating jelly that my mom made that is 10 yrs old... jars stored in the cool garage and still sealed... tastes fine... last she made before her dementia got too advanced... Beef in freezer that is over 3 yrs that has been fine-vacuum packed and no freezer burn..... Fruits do seem to get mushier after a couple years from canning in HWBath..... might try canning some a little "less ripe"..... But I mostly freeze all the vegs in vacuum pack bags.

Latest posts