CC's Fruits, Veggies & Food 2023

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I know that buying broth isn't too expensive, BUT, recipes call for a pint and you end up pouring 1/2 of the quart you just bought down the drain.
PLUS, I can broth without any salt, and everybody adds salt to EVERYTHING anymore, so you have no control over it.
@Crealcritter , your broth looks lovely! :love
Homemade broth is so much better than store bought. You can make it the way you want, based on ones diet Plus you get bones for dog treats ๐Ÿ‘

Jesus is Lord and Christ ๐Ÿ™โค๏ธ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
When setting out seedlings in long rows, it's really nice that Almighty sends in a quality control inspection critter. This critter followed me for about the whole row, then hopped away. I guess he decided I was doing an OK job ๐Ÿ˜
IMG_20230414_160526376.jpg

My wife pulled the row of spinach I sowed last fall. She said some I can't get the roots out. That's ok the tiller will get them out. Bloomsdale long standing spinach, does well over winter in my zone 6B or 7. We've been eating off the row a few times a week for the last several weeks. But it's time to pull and preserve before it bolts.
IMG_20230414_164341408~2.jpg

First batch washed, nice tasty big leaves.
IMG_20230414_164543790.jpg

Califlower, broccoli and brussels sprouts are set out.
IMG_20230414_184312820.jpg

Thank You Almighty, for the harvest ๐Ÿ‘

Last edited:

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Farm babe put up 7 quarts of chopped spinach last night. Then she fed the scraps to the chickens this morning. Some frozen spinach is better than no frozen spinach. I reckon that's the first veggie harvest of 2023 although sowed fall 2022 - Thank You again, Almighty ๐Ÿ‘
IMG_20230415_222920564~2.jpg

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
As promised grafting instructional videos. Both of these are good videos. Be careful when researching grafting. There's are a lot of sites out there trying make $$$ off your clicks.

Bark and whip and tongue. Watch this several times, you'll learn something new each time.

Cleft and Modified Cleft. Again a good video. He moves slowly with captioning so you can follow along easily.

Last edited:

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Grain fed grazing animals, freshly showered and blow dried last night.
IMG_20230416_160123347.jpg

Blessed to have them.

After Church, I didn't really do anything significant. Dumped out seedling trays that were full of rain water. Also dumped out kiddie pools were grafted fruit trees are, near full of rain water also. Weeded blueberries and planted two more.and weeded the grapevines. Fed and watered all the animals. Hugged and kissed my wife, told her I love her. She said I hope so Basically, a day of relaxation.

Need to draw up plans for new chicken coop and order seeds for fall, winter, spring garden. I'll probably do that this evening.

Last edited:

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Pruned the orchard this morning, need to do a little more. Weather guessors are calling for 30's overnight this weekend. Average last frost is April 21, so seems to be right on target. I'll start harding off tomatoes and peppers sometime next week. I probably should get onions set out in the garden this week.

I checked on the new grafted apples and peaches. Grafted apples are 100% takes. I noticed a couple more peach grafts took.

An interesting observation... the peach scionwood has dehydrated, where it was not wrapped with parafilm and coated with treecoat. Some peach scionwood buds broke and popped trough the parafilm and treecoat (determined buds ๐Ÿ˜‚). Note to self... warp peach scionwood in parafilm all the way to the tip bud. The next time grafting peaches, this should help with dehydration.

My Holy Bible verses for the day.
Ephesians 5:11-21

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I tilled a little bit more of the garden this evening. A little more of our garden is probably bigger than most people garden. It's all good though, there's never a shortage of pickers. Actually I believe I enjoy giving goodies away, more than I do eating them.

But I think my granddaughters enjoy canning with grandma most of all. Last year's strawberry preserves, jam session. No joke, they had praise and worship rocking \o/. This is what I witnessed when I came inside. I think she eat more than she squished ๐Ÿ˜‚
Screenshot_20230418-221917.png

Our strawberries are starting to bloom. We could use a repeat preserve jam session ๐Ÿ˜‹

Last edited:

Latest posts