View attachment 59698

Food milling
View attachment 59699

completed pear sauce. ingredients: pears
View attachment 59700

18 water bathed pints - ingredients: pears 😋
View attachment 59701

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸
WOW!! Great harvest! I always like when you can hot water bath your product, bc you are able to can ALL day and get through the fruit/vegetable daily harvest.
Pressure canning gets you one shot/day, then you wait until the next day to remove. :barnie
Many of my pears are discolored on the bottom 1/2, but I should still get a pretty good harvest.
I will add "processor for Kitchen Aid" to my Christmas list this year.
I inherited my MIL's Kitchen Aid, probably as old as me! Still works great, although the company has been sold, so...:hu

Last edited:

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
WOW!! Great harvest! I always like when you can hot water bath your product, bc you are able to can ALL day and get through the fruit/vegetable daily harvest.
Pressure canning gets you one shot/day, then you wait until the next day to remove. :barnie
Many of my pears are discolored on the bottom 1/2, but I should still get a pretty good harvest.
I will add "processor for Kitchen Aid" to my Christmas list this year.
I inherited my MIL's Kitchen Aid, probably as old as me! Still works great, although the company has been sold, so...:hu
with the pear sauce I took it in to be canned. I said I really pray it needs nothing like lemon juice or something else to be canned. my wife said nope nothing else needs to be added. she asked me to get her second water bathed and she canned the pear sauce up. so it has one ingredient: pears and is delicious 👍. my granddaughters really like it better than store bought apple sauce my wife has been buying for them. simple things usually turn out to be the better things 😋

pears... sounds like you may have brown rot, it's a fungus. The time to spray for it is when the leaves drop this fall and early spring at popcorn stage. Brown rot overwinters in cankers, bark and twigs of dead wood and in fruit mummies that are allowed remain on the tree and not disposed of. There should be organic spray options to help. brown rot is more common on stone fruits but can also occur on pome fruits.

as for the KitchenAid food mill attachment. Have a look at this one, made in USA (north Carolina) and lifetime warranty. I really like it.

kitchenaid repair parts are available on eBay in abundance. my wife picked up the one pictured for me from a resale shop cheap because it didn't work. Someone put new brushes in backwards. I just turned the brushes and it fired up. then I discovered it had a gear with a few missing teeth. I replaced the gear with new one from eBay. it was easy enough repair. now it's been working like a champ. even with the repairs, it was pennies on the dollar compared to new one.

hope you have a blessed day in earth today 👆

Last edited:

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
She is probably right about the water bath canning. I am always a little bit nervous and add sugar to my fruits that I water bath can.
I NEVER!!!!!! add lemon juice to my canned tomatoes, however.
Sugar is not good for me.

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yay, chicken house tin is screwed down 😁 Roof is 10x18,.my neighbor gave me 6 10 foot sheets of metal roofing. First time I been on the roof. It's good and solid, should out live me. and at 8x16, it should be plenty enough room for fowl.
IMG_20230819_181503123~2.jpg

IMG_20230819_181521884.jpg

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Yay, chicken house tin is screwed down 😁 Roof is 10x18,.my neighbor gave me 6 10 foot sheets of metal roofing. First time I been on the roof. It's good and solid, should out live me. and at 8x16, it should be plenty enough room for fowl.
View attachment 59757

View attachment 59758

Very nice structure. I look forward to what it'll look like finished. I've never seen a chicken house!

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
So yesterday on our walk home from church, farm babe said lets go look at the roses. She said they have really taken off. I told her I have been sprayed them with once with copper and once with sulfur and pruned them twice.

I pointed out a few places that need pruning and she said NO! I said yes, and I explained the reasoning why, she was still was not sold though. Then I just remained silent while she processed the info dump I gave her. After a few minutes, she said you do what you want, they look beautiful and healthy, so you must know what you are doing. Plus I'm the one with the brown thumb. She's absolutely adorable (most of the time) 😂.

She told me a few of the bare root roses she purchased were mislabeled because the colors are different than the package had pictured I told her unfortunately that's common. when purchasing store bought. She said that's OK, I like them anyways.

I haven't watered these since I first planted them, I would like the roots to grow deep. Frequent watering encourages shallow root growth, holding back on regular watering encourages deep root growth, which is preferable for roses. I plan on pruning back and covering with hay when they drop leaves for winter. If they survive the winter they should really take off next year with good deep root mass to help them grow big and strong. Plus there's a thick layer of limed cow manure for many seasons of nutrients.
IMG_20230904_095254907~2.jpg

Latest posts