CC's Fruits, Veggies & Food 2023

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
What's this? What once was a 3 year warranty, is now a lifetime warranty? I won't have to buy another new serpentine belt again. How crazy is that

usually warrantees diminish, not get better...congrats on that! Now if they'd make one for my mower...lol
your trees look really good...i know what you mean about the moles and voles..nasty little things. I had a yellow lab that killed them like crazy, but within 2 years of her death, they started coming back.
have you tried the newer weedeaters with batteries? they are a lot lighter...i can use mine for a long while without getting too sore...that old gas one killed me!

I did try a battery powered weed wacker once. It obviously wasn't built very good because I broke it in under 5 minutes. It was my dad's, he really liked it. I felt bad, so I bought him a brand new one just like it, so he could be happy again. I even got an extended warranty, so he could be happier longer.

Jesus is Lord and Christ ๐Ÿ™โค๏ธ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Yesterday I sprayed the fruit trees and watered air layer attempts. In the cool of the evening Farmbabe came out and walked the orchard with me โค๏ธ. I said look at all the pears she said wow that's gonna make a lot of preserves and butter. I said yeah maybe sauce too? She's gonna look for a pear sauce recipe. I eat a small bowl of unsweetened apple sauce most every evening and I wouldn't at all mind subbing pear sauce. This is the first time I've seen pears on the north side of the pear trees. Usually frost gets them but not this year ๐Ÿ‘ most pear trees are bi-annuals (produce heavy crop every other year and sparse if any on the off years). So it's really good we have a nice fruit load to hopefully harvest and process for two years of consumption.

I think I'm going to have to set out the two most vigorous apple grafts from March. They are 6 and 7 foot tall already. I'm a little conserned about wind knocking them over while potted in the kiddie pools. I'll set them out and prune the tips for side branches, them spread the limbs with some bailing twine. To hopefully make a nice shaped tree to give the a good start.

Both are golden delicious and are mainly for pollinating but also for delicious apples. As pollinators I'll have to figure out where they will best be placed in the apple row and fill in the skips with other varieties that need their pollination.

Stark Bros got me yesterday with their end of season bare root clearance. I ordered 3 pear trees. Blake's Pride, Shenandoah and Red Clapps Favorite. They are due to arrive next week. I'll pot them, start them out in the shade and gradually move them to full sun. Then continue baby sit them until they go dormant, then set them out. If all goes well, that'll make 7 unique pear varieties in the mother orchard. I just finished watering the cherry tree row.and taking a bit of a break. I have so many projects that need doing (I prefer it this way) but I think I'll go make some saw dust and pound some nails on the chicken house after my little break ๐Ÿ‘

It's Friday ๐Ÿ˜ I hope you are enjoying your day. This day like all the others be over in earth before you know it. Try and make the best of it, by doing what is good, share some love, earth needs it โค๏ธ

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
One of my son's when he approached teen years became a BIG eater. Actually two of my sons were this way, but that's a story for another day... Anyways I have no idea where all this food went. Hobbits second breakfast had nothing on my son. Supper and dinner the same, needless to say it was a challenge keeping him fed.

He likes Chinese food and expecially when crab legs are involved. So I would try and take him to Chinese all you can eat buffet because if not all you can eat, then I would probably need a bank loan to pay the tab. At one Chinese all you can eat buffet, the waitress actually came to our table and said "you be here 4 hours, you leave now, go home" ๐Ÿ˜‚. My son just sent this to me in a txt message, it made me laugh *hard.

I guess the 4 hour rule is common amongst all you can eat Chinese buffets.
Screenshot_20230623-152740.png

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Ready for rafters ๐Ÿ‘ so far I've pounded 10 lbs of cement coated 16d sinkers, with 28 ounce framing hammer. Being far from the house and electrical source. It makes no sense to wheel out the generator and air compressor to use my framing nail gun. When hand saw, hammer and nails are "handy". My neighbor said that's not a chicken coop, that's a chicken house. And the only thing he would have done different was too build it on a skid so it could be dragged around if you ever decide to use it for something else besides chickens. Good point๐Ÿ‘ but too late ๐Ÿ˜

IMG_20230627_115921096~2.jpg

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
as a teen i could put away four full plates of spaghetti and meatballs along with the garlic bread and a few bowls of salad. now i eat half a plate, one piece of bread and a bowl of salad.

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
My favorite daughter in law and I each picked 6 quarts of blackberries from behind the pond along the spill way. It gets good moisture there. We have been very dry this year so far. We scared up a doe and a rabbit. I named the rabbit Brier Rabbit ๐Ÿ˜.

I also found a wild apple tree growing in the briers. It's young has brown colored bark with white dots. No apples on it but most definitely a wild apple tree, kind of a neat find.

The king fruit was mainly what was ripe in the black berry clusters. I call the king fruit the berry or fruit that's in the center of the cluster. It's usually the first to ripen, largest and tastiest. If we get rain tomorrow like they are forecasting, we'll be able to harvest a lot more next week. but if no rain it's doubtful there will be much if any, to go back after.

Farmbabe just pulled blackberry cobbler out of the oven and is making blackberry pie filling to can with the rest ๐Ÿ‘ as I grabbed a knife and bowl and spoon, I was told *you can't get in to it, it has to cool some first, probably ain't no good anyways, so you wouldn't want any" my wife is a comedian ๐Ÿ™„
Screenshot_20230627-224050.png

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Been so dry and 2nd excessive heat advisory coming tomorrow. We went ahead a harvested some of the bigger broccoli heads. Farmbabe is working on blanching them for the deep freezer.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Both are golden delicious and are mainly for pollinating but also for delicious apples.
I had two GD apple trees when we moved here 20 years ago, but nobody bothered to prune it before me (or me) and it died slowly.
When we refenced, replaced old cattle fencing with proper horse fencing, I redrew the fencelines and the Other GD tree ended up in the horse turnout area.
My horses believe that ALL horses have their own apple tree.
THEIR tree is COVERED with apples this year.
They eat the low hanging fruit and patiently wait for the rest to blow down to the ground.
I Never have to clean up under this tree.

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Blackberry Cobbler ๐Ÿ˜‹
IMG_20230629_105330753.jpg

Garden Broccoli haversted yesterday evening, blanched and in deep freezer last night.
IMG_20230628_203925190.jpg

Three bud grafted bareroot pear trees received today from Stark Bros. End of season sale, with free shipping. I couldn't resist the price.
Red Clapps Favorite
Blake's Pride
Shenandoah
IMG_20230629_111742979.jpg