Chainsaws

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
When we bought this place 18 years ago I didn't have a gas chainsaw. I had a Remington electric. When dh had to go back out of state to sell our house that fell out of escrow I cut probably at least 200 Ponderosas and Lodgepole pines with it. The biggest needed to be cut be cut both directions because the blade wouldn't go through in one pass. (I know, bad) He was gone 6 weeks and no, he didn't want the trees cut, but they were way too thick so it was my little secret. Doubled up the extension cords ( I know, bad) and cut as far as I could reach. Now I have a gas saw which is a big improvement. 14' blade Stihl and I even have all my appendages.

This was not a recommendation for a Remington electric BTW. But it did work for a very long time and I worked the tar out of it.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
if i'm not using something very often i'd just get an old fashioned big tooth saw like the one i use to limb the bigger trees. no need to deal with a power tool if i'm only doing something rarely. at present most of what i do for trimming gets done with some large loppers that also run on muscle power. i can take pretty big limbs off with it and cut them up a heck of a lot faster than using a saw of any kind.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
"Good chainsaw stolen." 😲 Gosh, I'm sorry!!
Do you have a place where you can lock your new one up?
Dunno if this will help, bc I don't want to suggest a chainsaw that will give up the ghost, but you can get a cheapo on at Harbor Freight.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Actually Menards has decent cheap ones. I find that Harbour Freight is not cheaper than local stores. This area went through a time where thieves were stealing anything that had “saw” in its description. Then sold on internet, garage sale, flea markets, etc. My Farm Bureau insurance would cover it but I lose a discount that (you guessed it) would cost more than chain saw.

Talked to a friend that bought a 14” Stihl. Wished he would have bought a larger one. I don’t have the patience for a battery operated chain saw from reviews I’ve read. @flowerbug glad you like your hand saws. But when I want to work, I want to work, not just play around. Expect the same out of my tools. I’ve cut wood with hand tools before-had a moment of stupidity. I can cut 10X more wood with half the effort with a chain saw. Secret is buy a good one for job. Hard part is determining what tool size for what job.....my current dilemma.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Actually Menards has decent cheap ones. I find that Harbour Freight is not cheaper than local stores. This area went through a time where thieves were stealing anything that had “saw” in its description. Then sold on internet, garage sale, flea markets, etc. My Farm Bureau insurance would cover it but I lose a discount that (you guessed it) would cost more than chain saw.

Talked to a friend that bought a 14” Stihl. Wished he would have bought a larger one. I don’t have the patience for a battery operated chain saw from reviews I’ve read. @flowerbug glad you like your hand saws. But when I want to work, I want to work, not just play around. Expect the same out of my tools. I’ve cut wood with hand tools before-had a moment of stupidity. I can cut 10X more wood with half the effort with a chain saw. Secret is buy a good one for job. Hard part is determining what tool size for what job.....my current dilemma.

"if i'm not using something very often"...

i don't have a woodlot to manage nor do we burn firewood for heat.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
I did. I don’t cut wood very often or trim very often but when I do, I want it done now. Not over 4-8 hours while I rest up from being tired. Difference in how one looks at work. If I want a job to last, I’ll go fishing, take a nap, watch a sporting event, play with G’daughter, etc.... cutting/trimming, get ‘Er done.....stop screwing around.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
This conversation has brought up something else for me. If I have a gas-powered tool I hardly ever use the seals seem to dry out. They are not getting lubricated regularly so they too often fail when I start the tool back up. It's often hard to crank the tool. That reminds me, I need to crank my generator today.

You can have issues with a battery powered tool also. Batteries don't hold a charge indefinitely and some get weaker over time. A plug-in is limited to where you can run a cord. Different things to consider.

Living in the city now with very limited yard space If I were buying a new lawn mower I'd probably go electric. Not sure if it would be battery or plug-in.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
The way we work it here is dh takes the trees down and I limb them up. Then he bucks them up into 16". He uses the big Stihl (can't remember the bar length) and I use the 14" . It works good for that type of thing, but definitely shouldn't be using it to take bigger trees down. He probably won't be going out of town anytime soon, so I will have no need to. Haha.

Latest posts