Chicken breeds

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@TheSeedObsesser ! You have Delawares? I am very interested in this breed. I have researched the breeds for meat and eggs and so far, Delawares are leading the pack. When you post pictures, please tell me more about this breed!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Ridgerunner , that makes sense that they are so broody, I bought them from a breeder. That's also where I got a few Golden Cuckoo Marans hatching eggs last year to put under my Dutch bantam. The one hen I kept is a great layer.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is the red star a standard breed? I like all of these, bay, but I am surprised at the beauty of the red star. I have been looking into this of late. What bird is the second photo? Beautiful!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cat, "Red Star" is just a marketing name. It generally means it is a Red Sex Link but you don't have a clue what the parents are. It could be a commercial hybrid or if could be a cross between two regular breeds. That Red Star looks like a cross between two regular breeds but I'm not going to try to guess which ones.

The holder looks like she is thinking, "OK shoot that photo and get it over with. I'll be a good sport about it but I've got things to do!" That girl is plotting something.

Editted to add: if Bay will tell you where she got it you can maybe get some from them.

Last edited:

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
@TheSeedObsesser ! You have Delawares? I am very interested in this breed. I have researched the breeds for meat and eggs and so far, Delawares are leading the pack. When you post pictures, please tell me more about this breed!

Yup! It's our first year with the breed so I couldn't tell you much about them when it comes to laying ability (ours haven't started laying eggs yet.) I can say that they are slow growers and the chicks start out tiny! I actually could've sworn that they were bantams until they started growing. When they get big (which takes along time) they get big, not Jersey Giant big, but they do get big! Haven't eaten one yet but will soon (slaughtered about 12 roos sometime last week?). Will update on eating quality.

Anyway - pictures!

poultry 019.JPG

poultry 026.JPG

We have 40+ altogether as of right now, still have some roos to butcher. Once it stops raining I may go out and see if I can get a pic of them altogether (maybe even with some goats, they share pasture).

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@catjac1975 the second picture is of a Splash Blue Laced Red Wyandotte. It is not a desired breeder color, but I think they are prettier than the BLRW's that meet breeder criteria. but what do I know? I'm just a gardener with some chickens. :lol:

Red Star is a sex link, a cross between probably a Rhode Island Red and a Delaware. The hens are red and the roos are white and can tell the difference at hatching.

@TheSeedObsesser thanks for the Delaware pics! What age were the roos when you butchered them? and do you know how much they weighed? Beautiful flock, BTW.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yup! It's our first year with the breed so I couldn't tell you much about them when it comes to laying ability (ours haven't started laying eggs yet.) I can say that they are slow growers and the chicks start out tiny! I actually could've sworn that they were bantams until they started growing. When they get big (which takes along time) they get big, not Jersey Giant big, but they do get big! Haven't eaten one yet but will soon (slaughtered about 12 roos sometime last week?). Will update on eating quality.

Anyway - pictures!

View attachment 4756
View attachment 4757
We have 40+ altogether as of right now, still have some roos to butcher. Once it stops raining I may go out and see if I can get a pic of them altogether (maybe even with some goats, they share pasture).
Beautiful birds. They are on my wish list.

TheSeedObsesser

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Sorry Bay! I had meant to reply to your post a long while ago and completely forgot about it. Thank you for reminding me.

I would say that they were about 9 months of age when we butchered them, they're late maturing birds. I couldn't tell you exactly how much they weighed at the moment, but could see if I can get one weighed the next time that Ma takes one out of the freezer.