2 packages of instant yeast

1 cup milk
2 eggs
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 stick butter, softened and cut up in slices

1 egg white
2 tbsp of water

Add the 1/3 cup of bread flour to 1 cup water in a sauce pan. Mix on medium heat until it forms a thick paste.
Remove and set aside to cool.

In a mixer, mix 5 cups flour, sugar, yeast, and salt. With the cooled flour paste, mix in the milk, vanilla and eggs. Make a well in the bowl and add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Use the bread/kneading hook on the mixer and add the softened butter one slice at a time. Knead for 20 minutes or until the dough is elastic and smooth. Set in a dry place and let it rise until double in size.

Shape the dough into rolls or loaves. Allow to rise again. Mix 1 egg white with 2 tbsp of water. Brush onto the buns before baking. If making loaves, bake for 35 to 40 minutes in 350 degree oven OR until the top is golden brown. Do not overbake, it will make your bread hard. Remove, cool and Enjoy! Makes 2 loaves.

Making this now. Thank you for sharing!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I had a debate with myself: egg in stuffing or no egg in stuffing?

It didn't seem like very much stuffing for a 6# chicken. (Surprised that DW was willing to opt for chicken but it was an easy debate with her on that.) Hurry Up with DW standing there with the string to tie legs ... Then, it turns out, I forgot to add the cilantro!

Oh, okay, there's stuffing left for a loaf pan. Add the cilantro! The egg? Well, if there wasn't enough to add egg before ... 🙃 . Shoulda added both egg AND the cilantro!

Steve :)
stuffing was still good :). BTW: wouldn't it make sense to drop the stuffing vs dressing debate and move on to a different term than either?

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score

It didn't seem like very much stuffing for a 6# chicken. (Surprised that DW was willing to opt for chicken but it was an easy debate with her on that.) Hurry Up with DW standing there with the string to tie legs ... Then, it turns out, I forgot to add the cilantro!

Oh, okay, there's stuffing left for a loaf pan. Add the cilantro! The egg? Well, if there wasn't enough to add egg before ... 🙃 . Shoulda added both egg AND the cilantro!

stuffing was still good :). BTW: wouldn't it make sense to drop the stuffing vs dressing debate and move on to a different term than either?
Here is a term I have heard that is very informative:

Wow, that was good!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

i like stuffing because i am usually stuffing my face with it. dressing, well, no, i don't dress my face with it. :) (others may say otherwise)...

as we were picking the meat off the bones yesterday there was a nice glob of stuffing sitting there so i made it into a stuffing ball and ate it with relish. :) (that's another usage of a word you don't hear too often).

Dirtmechanic

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My DW has taken to oyster dressing. Dressing being cooked separately from the bird camp here. Oyster dressing was different and I encouraged her at first but later I came to regret it. Oysters and fishy flavors are not what I enjoy with a roast turkey. We had a break through this year, she suprised me with my own "normal" dressing and hers in smaller baking dishes.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
DW has the "potato bug," this morning. She peeled a bunch of spuds and is frying hash browns. It's a little late for my second breakfast but I'm being patient. She doesn't like easy-over eggs. I know that she plans to scramble them. No Sunnyside Up eggs with hash browns in this house! Oh well, I'm trying to be patient ...

Extra spuds, she just boiled and mashed for a couple loaves of bread. I'm not especially taken with potato bread but I've always liked it. Potato bread is just not all that much different from other yeast breads.

Still and yet, I like its smooth consistency - no big gaps in the loaf, making it difficult for the slices to hold the jam ;).

Before that Japanese Milk Bread, I'd never cooked a paste of flour and water as a bread ingredient. I think that is a benefit to the smoothness of the bread just as the mashed potatoes will be. Seemed like a real simple thing to do.

Steve
oh, and there are eggs in the potato bread, too.

Latest posts