Chicken math isn't supposed to work this way!!!!!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't buy any adults. I either hatch my own from my own eggs, get eggs from neighbors to hatch, or get chicks mailed from a hatchery. I did get chicks from a feed store this spring, seven cockerels when my first hatch was so pitiful. They are in the freezer. I know there is a small risk with feed store chicks because of all the people coming and going, but I took the chance. I have not noticed a problem.

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm with yall. I've had some stuff introduced into my flock from adult birds that were given to me - I will NEVER do it again. This past spring someone gave me a rooster knowing that he was headed for the freezer. Time got away from me and I ended up keeping him in the quarantine pen a lot longer than I expected to. When I got around to processing him - or starting to... - he had the WORST case of lice or mites EVER. Poor thing was so inflamed that I didn't even finish processing him - it was just too far on the 'ewwww gross' meter. I'm REALLY glad that he never came in contact with any of my birds.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm one of those risky people and use a different approach to insuring good health in the flock, a more holistic approach. I get strange birds in each season to use for meat purposes, some from known sources and most are not. They free range with the rest of my flock for awhile and there is no quarantine period prior to that...they get dusted with pyrethrin, castor oil on the legs and combs/wattles when they arrive and are set free. Been doing it that way for years and I've never had an illness in any of my flocks. I don't vaccinate nor feed medicated feeds here, nor do any biosecurity measures either.

I don't worry about introducing new birds into the flock, rather the introduction of any of their specific germs most likely helps to build antibodies in my own flock. I work towards strong immune systems here, culling sometimes twice a year to get the best and most healthy for breeding the next year. I depend on that health and those immune systems, on the free range on pasture that is not overstocked, on fresh air, sunshine, good gut health and also on, ultimately, God to keep them healthy.

It seems to work and has done for the past 40 yrs. I've had people call that luck, but for all the work and attention to building a strong flock that's put in here, I'd say calling that luck is like calling an Olympic runner lucky when they win.

Unless that stops working well, I don't think I'll be changing anything and will continue to take those risks along the way.

Journey, it might be something worth considering~ a more holistic approach~ as there is simply no way to avoid a flock's exposure to environmental vectors of disease.

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Beekissed I do agree when I have bought pullets they go in the coop
they are shielded in an exhibition crate but nothing more and do not use
medicated foods ever

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee your flock is Darwinism in action. The fittest live and breed, natural selection (well you) cull the unfit

Well...I wouldn't call it that, but it does sort of work that way. ;) It's a good system that helps keep animals most likely to contract or carry disease out of the flock. It's been said that only 5% of any flock or herd is carrying 95% of the parasite loads, and those are the animals with the weakest immune systems as well, so if you can remove that 5% you can keep a pretty healthy group of animals.

PennyJo

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I do not see anything wrong with breeding the fittest for stronger
birds be it better layers or meat or dual purpose birds

Latest posts