Chicken math isn't supposed to work this way!!!!!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Broodiness bred in or out of a line? Absolutely. To me strain is more important than breed in many respects.

It sounds like you may be basing an entire breed on one bird. How many Australorps have you had?

I will mention that some of the Australorps I got from Cackle Hatchery went broody a lot. The Buff Orpingtons never did. Buff Orps are the ones many people talk about going broody a lot. They make a decent carcass. They might be worth a try. Worst comes to worst, you have supper.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I do chicken math a little differently than most I read about on the forums....I'm with Ridgerunner on chicken math. I intentionally add more each spring via broody hens so I can subtract in the fall. I keep a pretty steady 13-15 bird flock...never more than that in the winter months. Spring, summer, and fall I have extra birds growing out to butcher size.

Red, why not can up the extra chicken so it doesn't take up room in the freezer? I can all my chicken...makes it tender, flavorful and speeds the prep time for meals.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Broodiness bred in or out of a line? Absolutely. To me strain is more important than breed in many respects.

It sounds like you may be basing an entire breed on one bird. How many Australorps have you had?

I will mention that some of the Australorps I got from Cackle Hatchery went broody a lot. The Buff Orpingtons never did. Buff Orps are the ones many people talk about going broody a lot. They make a decent carcass. They might be worth a try. Worst comes to worst, you have supper.

No, sorry to be so unclear. I was just pointing out the differences you can have in the same breed.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
The strains kept by the hatcheries may vary, by time and place to place. Backyard chicken folks are probably wise to keep the best for breeding but that is difficult for small flocks. I was committed to "small" and never had more than about a half dozen hens.

Orpington hens I had (2) wanted to go broody probably before they had laid 20 eggs. I had and enjoyed Australorp flocks several different times. The last time, I was a little surprised by their low egg production.

I once raised quite a few Barred Rock, primarily for meat. Surprised that those were so lean! Accidentally, had a couple of BR hens later and they were what I expected for size but good productive layers, as well. All over the board experiences!

Steve

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
All my cats (and dog) are neutered. Not gonna happen there, Nyboy. 'Sides, I could always drop a kitten or two off at CD's house. Who would know?
Am I the CD you referring to? If I did not notice kittens the *dog* would ... :(
I am sure finding homes for the little ones will not be hard.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
There is something unsettling about man changing a animal so much it doesn't do one of the most natural and basic things reproducing.
Broodiness requires some sort of slow down in the egg formation process. A hen laying 300 eggs a year with a month off for forced molting, has trouble scheduling time off from work.

Surrogates, both natural and robotic are considered the way to go. Think about what would happen if the hen asked for sick leave ...

Steve

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Well, at least with Delaware hens, I can get a RIR rooster and breed sex links. Red sex links lay some nice large eggs.